Thursday, September 5, 2013

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 377




Chapter 377
Mr. Shakespeare


"Gerry, they'll miss us."  Gamilla giggled.

"I won't keep ya long, Mrs. Gurney."  Gerard winked, leading Gamilla into the morning room.

"Mrs. Gurney."  Gamilla sighed happily.  "Gamilla Gurney.  Mrs. Gerard Gurney."

"I like the way that sounds."  Gerard nodded, closing the door behind them.

"Gerry, honey.  We can't be away from the party.  It's for us."

"Like I said, my love, this won't take long."  Gerard smiled.

"I just don't want His Grace and Lord Colinshire to think we don't appreciate all that they done for us."

"They know how we feel 'bout it.  And, 'bout them.  And, they also know how we feel 'bout each other."  Gerard said.  "Besides, I knew you'd worry, so I told his Grace I was gonna steal ya away for a minute so I could give ya somethin'."

"What'd he say?"

"What did you think he said, Love?"

"He prob'ly said, 'Coo!  Ya go on and have yerself a time!'"  Gamilla chuckled.

"That's just 'bout exactly what he said."  Gerry nodded.

Gamilla smiled.  "You gonna give me a present?"

"I am."  Gerard replied.

"Well, I got one for you, too.  It's up in my room.  Let me run and get it."  Gamilla said.

"Not yet."  Gerard shook his head.  

"But..."

"No, Love.  Let me just give you mine first."  He rubbed his hands together.

"All right, honey."  Gamilla smiled.

"Now, ya know, I ain't got much money."  Gerard said softly.  

"You got as much as I do, honey."  Gamilla laughed.

"If it were up to me, I'd give ya a beautiful diamond like that what I bought me-self, not one given to my by His Grace for ya.  And, I'd give ya a fine party and the gown and the jewels.  I'd 'ave given ya all of that myself, if I coulda."

"My Gerry, I know.  Just as I'd 'ave given you a fine suit of clothes and a fine pocket watch like the masters gave ya.  As much as these are fine things, and as much as I love the masters for givin' 'em to us, they ain't the most important things.  Just long as I got you.  Honey, that's all I need."

"That's how I feel, too."  Gerard hugged his new wife.  "So, that's why I wanted to give ya somethin' special.  Somethin' just for us.  Just from me."

He reached into his pocket and removed a small piece of pink paper which he had cut into the shape of a heart.

"I...I know how ya like poetry."

"Oh, I do."  Gamilla nodded.  "Did you copy down a poem for me?  You're so sweet."

"No, I wrote one o' me own for ya."

"Oh, Gerry."  Gamilla gushed.

"May I read it to ya?"

"I hope you will!"

He began:

Gamilla, my love, you are my life.
Thank  you for saying you'd be me wife.
I will always love and always cherish
You until the moment we both perish.
And even after, forever and ever.
No one is finer.  No one.  Never.


Blushing, Gerard looked down and handed the poem to Gamilla.  "I know I ain't Mr. Shakespeare, but I mean it."

"It's the finest...the sweetest gift ever."  Gamilla brushed a tear from her cheek.  "I love you, Gerard Gurney."

"And, I love you, Mrs. Gurney."  Gerard squeezed her.  "But, we best get back upstairs.  No use makin' the Duke wait for Mrs. Pepper's cake."




Did you miss Chapters 1-366 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square?  If so, you can read them  here.  Come back tomorrow for Chapter 378.





No comments: