Thursday, February 14, 2013

Treat of the Week: A Pre-Valentine’s Day Feast





Since we weren’t going to be together for Valentine’s Day, my mother prepared a special feast when last we visited so that we could enjoy a pre-Valentine’s Day celebration as a family. Of course, when next we gather, we’ll relish in our annual Valentine’s Tea—my favorite treat of all. You’ll be seeing that in coming days. 






This fabulous dinner was an ideal reminder of family-togetherness. Heart-shaped red and white cheese raviolis were smothered in a delectable sauce brimming with flavor and made all the more special with sautéed baby Portobello mushrooms and lovely eggplant. A fantastic, cooling, salad was a neat counterpoint to the spicy meal, and, of course, there was a beautiful, crusty bread to sop up the sauce.

My father commented that the shape and color of the ravioli reminded him of the cover of my novel, The Garnet Red. I found that amusing, and, especially so when I saw that day’s dessert which was made in a fleur-de-lys pan—emblematic of the book’s New Orleans setting. 


And, what a cake! One of my favorites, in fact, this moist, luxurious dessert is a symphony of cardamom and spices. This is the sort of cake that only gets more flavorful after it sits for a day, becoming all the more moist and delicious. Served with whipped cream and fresh berries, it was a truly lovely end to a magnificent meal.

12 comments:

Matt said...

What a beautiful meal. Happy Valentine's Day!

Barb said...

I love the ravioli!! The cake looks really good! Happy V Day!

Gene said...

How nice. I enjoy cardamom.

Carolyn said...

Very sweet! I would like a slice of cake. Happy Valentine's Day.

April said...

I'd skewer cupid for a piece of cake.

Kathy said...

I wish I could have found those ravioli. How cute!!! Love the cake! So pretty!!!!

Renee said...

I always like to see the Treat of the Week. I always want to comment. I wanted to say that I learned how to make a cake like that from my mom and I haven't made it since she passed. It was nice for me to see it on Valentine Day which she always liked so much. Thank you.

Sam P said...

Sweeeeeeeet! Cant wait to see the tea.

Beth Ann said...

Happy Valentine's Day! I'm so glad your family had a nice celebration before the day. I am looking forward to seeing this year's tea.

Doug said...

Very, very nice. Cute pasta. Fab cake!

Barry said...

This brightened my day.

Angelo said...

Awesome! Happy V Day!