Thursday, January 17, 2013

Object of the Day: A Victorian Scrap of a Handsome Canine

Click image to enlarge



As we’ve reached another Gratuitous Bertie Dog Picture day, I thought we’d look at dog-related items today. Let’s start with this scrap. I’m always intrigued by scraps which remain untouched. Victorian hands cut out these colorful pieces of paper to use for a variety of purposes. They’d be collected in books, they’d be decoupaged onto a variety of objects, they’d be glued into cards. So, when I find one , or I’m given one , that’s survived for over a century without being glued into or onto something else, I find myself wondering why.

I like to think this sweet-eyed doggy was saved because he was special. Perhaps the cutter-outer set him aside for a particular occasion or person. Perhaps he or she couldn’t stand the thought of giving him away. Or, perhaps, he represented a particular beloved pet.

Of course, we’ll never know. But, he is very handsome, and, now he’s here with his ephemeral brethren where he seems quite content.




No comments: