Friday, January 25, 2013

Mr. Punch's Puzzles: The Riddle of the Week









Once, again, Mr. Punch, with my help, is offering up a true Victorian riddle.  The first person to answer correctly--by posting in the comments--will receive public congratulations.  Some week, I may offer a nifty prize from our online store.  But, this week, I don't feel like it.

So, here's this week's riddle.  We ask that you don't Google the answer.  Mr. Punch would not find that sporting at all.  Give it a shot and see what you can come up with.  Here we go... No cheating...


My friend and I from home did part,
Of whom I had some way the start:
So on we ran, ten miles or more,
And I same distance was before:
Now tell me how that this could be,
As I ran twice as fast as he?




AND...the answer is...

The fore-wheel of a coach.

And, I'm most pleased to announce we have winners (of nothing).  ANGELO was the first to put the correct answer!  Hooray for you, Angelo!  And, GENE followed next.  Good for you both!  Many thanks to all who answered.  As always, it was a most amusing time!  Come back next Friday for another of Mr. Punch's Puzzles!



Mr. Punch wants you to always know “the way to do it,” so why not check out our “That’s the way to do it!” products which are available only at our online store.  

20 comments:

April said...

Jodie Foster running from the press.

Joseph Crisalli said...

To her panic room.

Matty said...

Lemmings racing to the cliff.

Joseph Crisalli said...

How delightfully strange.

Darcy said...

Lance Armstrong running from Oprah.
(And hordes of angry French men.)

Joseph Crisalli said...

Ha! I like that one, Darcy!

Carolyn said...

Darcy, I was going to say the same thing. So, I'll say Judy running from the "dolls."

Joseph Crisalli said...

Also an interesting thought.

Shawn said...

It is a rarely seen outtake from "
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" where Bette Davis attempts to out run Joan Crawford who is in her wheelchair. Little did Bette know that Joan was at the peak of a (several-days of nothing but) Pepsi and cigarettes high and therefore had inhuman strength and speed.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Well done, Shawn!

Sam P said...

Me running from dougnuts.

Joseph Crisalli said...

I'm going to assume you mean "doughnuts."

Angelo said...

Maybe like a train or like a wheel.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Maybe...Angelo... May be.

Dashwood said...

Almost any Kardashian trying to leave their behind, well, behind.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Also very good!

Gene said...

I am with Angelo.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Have fun, you two.

Angelo said...

I'm awesome!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Yes. Yes, you are.