Saturday, December 8, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 207




Chapter 207
Without Fail
 


Queen Victoria sat silently for a few moments after Mr. Punch had explained all that had happened to him and to Robert over the last year. He’d told her about Lady Barbara’s escape to America with her newly-born child; of Barbara’s dealings with the Elegant Ogress, Iolanthe Evangeline; of the strange magic of Marie Laveau; of their many dangerous adventures; of the development of the relationship that he and Robert shared; of the deaths of their friends, and, of the deception they employed to rescue Colin. Punch had even told the Queen about Julian’s mother, the Duchess of Fallbridge and her lascivious taste for servant men, her murder at the hands of Iolanthe Evangeline and the illegitimate child who had emerged recently after their trials in Scotland. The tale concluded with Hutchinson’s collusion with Eudora Stover and Hortence and the threat against Colin.

For a moment, Punch began to despair that he’d said too much. He glanced anxiously at Robert who was clenching his hands together nervously.

“Well, then.” Queen Victoria said finally.

“Yes, Your Majesty.” Punch nodded.

“It’s all quite fascinating.” She sniffed. “You two poor souls, you’ve been through quite the ordeal. And, look at you both. You’ve weathered it all and risen above it, handsome and triumphant.”

“Thank you, my Queen.” Punch smiled slightly. “Only we haven’t risen above all of it, we haven’t.”

“No.” The Queen shook her head. She gripped the arms of the soft chair of golden damask in which she sat. “When I was a girl, in Kensington Palace, I felt quite alone. I was not alone, not per se. However, for all of the people who flitted about the palace, I knew that no one, except Lehzen, of course cared much for me. I was prized, yes, but not valued. You see, at a point, when it was known to my mother that I was one day to be Queen, any shred of maternal affection she felt for me gave way to avarice and ambition. And, so, while I was prized, I was no more than another bauble which she could flaunt as a symbol of her own status. No, more of a figure of ivory and gold, locked away in a reliquary. Prized but untouched. That was a very lonely world, indeed.”

“For that, Your Majesty, I am deeply sorry.” Mr. Punch said softly.

“No need to be, my dear Punch.” The Queen shook her head. She looked to Dr. Halifax. “Doctor, I see in your eyes that you understand me.”

“I do, Your Majesty.” Robert nodded. “In a way. I was neither prized nor valued. My brother, Cecil, he loved me as brothers do. Our father—he loved us in a peculiar way, a way that depended on theatricality and excessive displays. Our mother…well, she knew neither if she loved nor hated anyone. Later, I was wanted by some, but for their own pleasures, never for my own.”

“Did you ever dream, Dr. Halifax?” The Queen asked.

“Dream, Your Majesty?”

“Yes, Doctor. Dream. I used to dream. I’d ignore whatever was around me and, in my girlish way, arrange my dolls into little families. Happy families. Yes, I played at happy families. As I grew into a woman, I dreamed of being a wife and a mother and would often find myself wondering if there was anyone who would…match me. To marry a Queen,” She shook her head. “Is daunting at best.”

“I understand, ma’am.” Robert nodded. “I did dream. Often when I was studying, my mind would wander.”

“To where, Doctor?”

“To visions of kind eyes and a soft smile. To the even sound of a gentle voice. To strength and yielding.”

“Did you ever think you’d find it?” Victoria asked.

“I would often despair that I’d not.” Robert replied. “Until one day.”

“What day?”

“One day at the Great Exhibition, Your Majesty. A day that I saw Your Majesties with a certain Lord Fallbridge.”

“I see.” Queen Victoria winked. “The future Duke. He was your answer?”

“Yes and no.” Robert answered. “I knew that within him was the answer.”

“That’s me.” Mr. Punch grinned.

“I’d gathered that, Mr. Punch.” The Queen chuckled.

“My answer came when I saw my dear Albert. My cousin was known to me, of course, but when I looked into his eyes—a grown man, so strong and lean with such thoughtful, caring eyes, I knew then that I was no longer alone. We two.” She paused. “And, now, we are more. I saw my dreams realized and you seem to have seen yours as well.”

“Yes, Your Majesty,” Punch and Robert answered in unison.

“And, yet, I am…” She paused. “I am protected.” She shrugged. “I enjoy a certainty that most do not. Even though you’ve one another and your lovely Colin, you still face uncertainties that I do not. Not only because life tends to intrude, but because of your…situation. I hate to see two people so like me, two people for whom I carry a deep respect and admiration and to whom, we are, in many ways, indebted, face fear and loneliness.”

“Your Majesty is most kind.” Robert replied emotionally.

“And selfish, Dr. Halifax. I do not care to see my favorites bothered.” She giggled. “It inconveniences us.”

“As it did today.” Mr. Punch said thoughtfully.

“Yes.” Victoria sighed. “Though we do understand.”

“We are grateful.” Robert replied.

“I shall help you.” The Queen said firmly. “You must leave this to me.”

“We are Your Majesty’s servants.” Mr. Punch smiled.

“I shall press you into service immediately, then.” The Queen half-smiled.

“Whatever Your Majesty wishes.”

“Go to the Prince Consort’s study and buy that lovely diamond for me forthwith.” The Queen grinned.

“Without fail.” Mr. Punch nodded.



Did you miss Chapters 1-206 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square? If so, you can read them here. Come back on Monday for Chapter 208.




No comments: