Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 204




Chapter 204
Seized 




The carriage rattled hurriedly toward Buckingham Palace.

“I want that bloke out o’ me house before nightfall.” Mr. Punch bellowed.

“He knows he’s sacked.” Robert shook his head. “My only concern is that while we’re with Her Majesty, he’ll steal the carriage and horses.”

“No.” Mr. Punch shook his head. “I’m gonna make sure he don’t do no such thing. The minute we stop, I’m havin’ the Palace Guards take ‘im into custody. Her Majesty will supply us a driver to get us back to Belgrave Square.”

“If the Queen isn’t too annoyed with us for being an hour late.”

“When we tell Her Majesty what just happened, she’ll understand.”

“Surely, you’re not going to tell everything to the Queen?” Robert’s eyes widened.

“And, why not?” Mr. Punch smiled slightly.

“But, the scandal.” Robert said quickly.

“I trust Her Majesty. She ain’t as prim as folk suggest. There’s a passion in the woman what makes her able to understand much more than folk realize.” Mr. Punch replied. “Look how she took to me. Here, the Queen coulda just as easily cast me from the palace, callin’ me a lunatic. But, no, Her Majesty took the news of me livin’ Julian’s life for ‘im with good humor.”

“True.” Robert sighed. “I’d just hate to see your relationship with the crown be jeopardized.”

“It won’t be.”

“Dear Punch,” Robert shook his head. “Eudora, Hortence and Ellen are blackmailing us.”

“A crime, my Robert. A crime.”

“However,” Robert began. “In reporting said crime we must reveal the truth of Colin’s parentage.”

“I have no problem tellin’ the truth to Her Majesty.” Punch replied. “She’ll understand.”

“Will she?”

“My dear,” Punch said gently, “Her Majesty is a mother. She loves her children as we love Colin. Their well-being is important to her. When she hears that those three women have threatened harm to our son should we not comply with their demands, she’ll be furious. The Queen will help us, she will. I know it.”

“How will you begin?” Robert asked.

“I’ll tell her simply, as best I can, all what’s happened. I’ll tell her that Lady Barbara fled to America to sell her illegitimate child and that she remains there. I’ll tell Her Majesty that we rescued the boy and he’s our Colin. We shall simply inform Her Majesty that this Orpha Polk or Ellen or whatever she’s called masqueraded as my illegitimate half-sister, wormed her way into our household and is now blackmailing us, telling us that should we not give her an outrageous sum of money, she will not only tell all of London that Colin is my sister’s bastard, but that Barbara is a prostitute and, furthermore, do harm to our son.”

Robert nodded.

“You and I have nothing what we gotta be ‘shamed of. We ain’t the ones what done anything wrong.”

“Yes.” Robert said softly.

“Now, listen, Chum, we’re coming to the palace. We gotta get outta this thing quick-like and have the guards seize Hutchinson.”

“I’m prepared.” Robert replied.

As the carriage rolled to a halt at one of the private entrances of Buckingham Palace, Punch prepared to disembark the carriage, but found that there was no footman waiting for them, only guards.

Mr. Punch opened the door himself and found that a guard was quickly upon him.

“Sir, remain in your carriage.” The guard barked.

“I’m the Duke of Fallbridge,” Punch replied. “We’ve an appointment.”

“Not anymore, you don’t. Her Majesty has stated that she won’t see you.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-203 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square? If so, you can read them
here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 205.





No comments: