Monday, November 5, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 182


Chapter 182
A Few Pieces 



No.” Charles rushed forward. “He can’t be.”

With shaking hands, Gamilla fumbled to loosen Finlay’s cravat and collar. “He ain’t breathin’!”

“Let me,” Charles knelt down near the man. He felt Finlay’s throat and pressed an ear against the man’s mouth.

Gamilla rose and staggered backward. “I done killed him. That was not what was meant to be. I killed him. I killed a man! I ain’t never killed nothin’ nor no one before!”

“Gamilla, it’s not your fault.”

“Yes, it is!” Gamilla squealed. “I…I…only meant to scare him. I just wanted him to know what he done. I just wanted him to know! I wanted him to live with the same kind of pain…but, to live. To be alive.”

Charles looked down helplessly at Finlay. “Could it be that he died of fright?”

“I knew it was wrong. I knew it.” Gamilla muttered. “I shoulda never done it.”

Suddenly, Charles had a thought. Rising up on his knees, be began to press rhythmically on Finlay’s chest.

“What are ya doin’?” Gamilla asked.

“Dr. Halifax…he’s done this. I overheard him telling His Grace about how when the Earl of Cloisterfield stopped breathing, he pressed on the man’s chest and got him to breathe again.”

“How do you know that’s not going to make it worse?” Gamilla asked.

“I…I don’t.” Charles shook his head.

“You’d best go get the doctor.” Gamilla said quickly. “He’ll know what to do.”

“But…you didn’t want to involve the masters.”

“We don’t have a choice!” Gamilla shouted. “We…I…I didn’t want the Duke and the doctor involved in my sin, my crime of deception, but they wouldn’t be. They’d be here to save a life, not harm one.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes…yes.” Gamilla sputtered.

Charles rushed from the vault and bolted toward the service stairs.

Alone in the room with Finlay, Gamilla sat on the floor next to the man. She watched him carefully and thought, just for a moment, that she saw his fingers move.

“Can’t leave ya like this.” Gamilla mumbled. “Ain’t right for a dead man to be bound…my mama would tell me that it was a terrible thing….”

With that, Gamilla began to untie Finlay’s hands.

Meanwhile, completely out of breath, Charles reached the passage to the Duke’s chamber and was relieved to find that the Duke and the Doctor were alone in the corridor.

“Charles, what is it?” Robert asked with alarm has Charles ran to them.

“There’s a problem with Finlay.”

“What’s the scoundrel done now?” Mr. Punch growled.

“We think he’s dead!”

“We?” Robert asked.

“Gamilla and I…we…please, Sir, just come. I’ll explain on the way.” Charles panted.

“I’ve sworn to do no harm.” Robert began, “However, part of me is relieved that the man is dead.”

“I’d ‘ave thought so, too. It’s what I wanted most when I struck him…” Punch started. “Only now I think it’d be best were he to live and suffer for what he done.”

“That’s what Gamilla thoughts, too.” Charles coughed. “But, Sir…we must…we must hurry.”

“Yes, of course.” Robert nodded. “Dear Punch, you should stay…”

“And, miss this?” Punch shook his head.

“We don’t have time…” Charles panted again.

Robert took Punch’s hand, and the three of them hurried toward the vault.

After racing down the stairs, they rushed into the silver vault only to find it empty. There was no trace of Finlay, no trace of Gamilla. On the floor, all that remained in the dark room were traces of flour, cordial and a few pieces of rope.



Did you miss Chapters 1-181? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 183.




No comments: