Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Object of the Day: A Double-Sided Stereograph, 1850-1860

Click to go past the point of no return.



A couple of weeks ago, I shared with you a stereograph from my collection which I found to be quite unusual because it features images on both sides of the card. Most such cards were printed with a description of the photos on the obverse on the back.

Here’s another double-sided card. It’s one of about four that I have now. One side is printed with a scene of the Paris Opera. (Baaaa...bah, bah, bump, bump, bummmm).  The other side shows The Fort of St. Jean and Cathedral, Marseilles, France. The respective images are labeled 133 and 144. This indicates to me that there was a guide which corresponded to the images, providing the copy which would usually be on the reverse of the card. 

I’ve been doing a little research, and the best I can figure is that these cards were published by Underwood and Underwood of New York, probably between 1850 and 1860. 

Click on this one, too.

No comments: