Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Figure of the Day: Three Graces Distressing Cupid, c. 1785

Three Graces Distressing Cupid
William Duesbury & Co.
Derby, England
1785
The Victoria & Albert Museum




A figure group of soft-paste porcelain on an irregular base of modeled flowers and leaves, this is the work of Derby’s William Duesbury & Co and dates to about 1785.

The subject is “Three Graces Distressing Cupid.” Poor Cupid is tied to a tree by his waist. One of the Graces is mocking him by breaking his bow over her knee. Another is pinching him. And, the third is pelting him with flowers. None of that seems very graceful.

2 comments:

Darcy said...

I'm sure baby Liza wouldn't want these ladies as babysitters.

Joseph Crisalli said...

"Mama always used to leave me with these three girls...they were...they were Greek and they wore these long...you know...long drapes, like...they were robes. And these girls, they'd speak to me. They were all three as big as bears. I remember telling this story to Vicki Lawrence and Lyle Waggoner once and they had the same problem. So, I was with these giant, giant women in their robes, and...well...they tied me to a tree. They tied me to a tree and they'd pelt me with things, you know like plants and flowers. I would tell them not to, but...well, my father, Mr. Vincent-eh Meeeeeeeeeeeee-neli, he'd come and untie me, but then, he made me wear yellow and we'd have dinner with Tony Curtis who was just a darling, darling man. He was so kind and just as small as...well, he was tiny. But, lovely..."