Friday, September 21, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 145



Chapter 145: 
To Spill Tonight 


Take her into the cellars, Georgie. I’ve got the key. Mr. Speaight left it with me.” Mrs. Pepper said quickly. “Jenny, girl, go get the masters smart-like!”

“You don’t want to do that.” Ellen growled.

“She’s right.” Finlay grinned, stepping out of the shadows.

“This don’t concern you, Finlay.” Georgie snapped.

“That’s right. Get out of here.” Ethel shouted.

“Close your mouth.” Finlay spat. “I won’t take orders from a scullery maid.”

“Then, you’ll take orders from me, Finlay Donnan.” Mrs. Pepper said with authority. “With Mrs. North gone and Mr. Speaight elsewhere, I’m in charge. I’m the senior member o’ the staff.”

Finlay laughed.

“I’m warnin’ you, Finlay.” Georgie yelled, his grip on Ellen tightening.

Ellen yelped.

“What’s any of this to you anyway?” Ethel blurted out. “It don’t concern you.”

“Doesn’t it, lass?” Finlay smiled.

“If you knew the lies this one was tellin’,” Mrs. Pepper shook her head, “even you, Finlay, would want that much distance.”

“Lies? You mean that she’s the Duke’s sister?” Finlay scoffed.

“So, you know?” Ethel frowned. “I s’pect you’ll be tellin’ us that you believe her?”

“I do believe her, lass.” Finlay grinned.

“Right.” Ethel stuck out her tongue.

“I do.” Finlay nodded. “Listen, Scullery, I was there. The girl’s not just the Duke’s sister. She’s mine, too.”

“What?” Mrs. Pepper scowled.

“Her da’s Johnny Donnan and her ma is the late Duchess of Fallbridge. That makes her kin to both me and the Duke. So, I guess that means, Mrs. Pepper, that I outrank ya. I’ll thank your monkey son to take his hands off of me sister.”

“Don’t do what he says, Georgie.” Mrs. Pepper said to her son.

“I won’t, mum.” Georgie shook his head.

“Listen you two, I’m not surprised the likes of you have joined your wicked minds together in this lie, but I’m not going for it. Maybe you’re evil, but I ain’t. I ain’t gonna help ya, and furthermore, I don’t take orders from no Scots footman neither. I take my orders from the masters and that’s what I aim to do.”

“That’s right.” Ethel nodded. “Me nor Jenny nor George do neither.”

“I was afraid of that,” Finlay sighed. “Very well. Have it your way.” He backed up as if to leave and, as he did, reached into the pocket of his coat—having changed from his devil costume.

Quickly and with no warning, Finlay spun around with a long knife in his hand. He rushed at Georgie coming upon him from behind and holding the knife to his throat.

The girls and Mrs. Pepper gasped.

“Now, Mrs. Pepper,” Finlay hissed. “Unless you want the blood of your son to spill tonight like the Countess’ did, you’ll have him release my sister this minute.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-144? If so you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 146.


No comments: