Monday, August 13, 2012

Treat of the Week: A Russian Spice Cake




This past weekend, we celebrated my father’s birthday in high style. To begin with my father got to try out his new rotisserie on a lovely roast of beef with a “Brazilian” marinade. The beef was roasted over potatoes and onions which cooked to perfection on the grill. This was joined by a heaping bowl of German Spätzle, haricot verts, and a gorgeous tomato and mozzarella salad with roasted baby eggplants. It was a stunning meal.






However, as usual, the dessert was the real star of the show. My mother adapted a recipe from the book “Special Teas” by M. Dalton King. The cake is a Russian Spice Cake with a double cream frosting. With a wonderful texture, this spice cake’s flavor is enhanced by currants and walnuts. I’m really quite enchanted by the way it looks, too. The way my mother frosted the cake makes it look like snowy-white enamel from a piece by Carle Fabergé. I’d really recommend King’s book. There are a lot of great recipes in there, and, as you can see, they are all quite beautiful, too.







16 comments:

Matt said...

Looks like a great meal. I wish I'd been there. I like me some roast. Happy birthday to your dad. He got a great cake to celebrate!

Gene said...

Beautiful cake. Happy birthday to you father.

Barb said...

Happy birthday to your dad. What a Beautiful feast.

Kathy said...

Gorgeous! Happy birthday!

Ashley said...

My grandma made a cake like that with raisins. Currents would be bettterr.

Carolyn said...

I would start having birthdays again if I was given cakes like that, and dinner too. Happy birthday Joseph's dad.

Marsha said...

Lovely meal! Stunning cake. Happy birthday!

Barry said...

Singin Jolly Good Fellow for your father and saying what a jolly good cake.

Sam P said...

I want that cake for my birthday! Many happy returns!

April said...

Your mom is so talented. Is It wrong to covet a cake. I don't know bible stuff. Happy birthday to your father.

Bonnie said...

The salad sounds really good too. I'm glad your father had a special day. Tell him happy birthday.

Angelo said...

Happy birthday to your dad. I wanna eat his cake.

Wendy said...

That all looks so tasty! Happy birthday!

Mark said...

I want my next birthday at your mother's house. Happy birthday to your father. That's the way to do it!

Susan said...

Very pretty. Happy birthday.

Joseph's Dad said...

I know that all these nice comments come mainly from the cake but I thank you all for your nice birthday wishes. I'm very lucky to have a wife who makes these wonderful things and a son who shares news about them with you (while eating his own fair share.)

Angelo, I've already got one kid grabbing onto cake. Don't you start. I was raised in Jersey.