Thursday, August 23, 2012

Object of the Day, Caption Contest: A Trade Card for Fancy and Toilet Articles

Click Image to Enlarge.




Nothing says “Fancy and Toilet Articles” like a staggering, drunk putto. The half-consumed, giant glass of wine aside, doesn’t he just look “lit”? What’s he doing? He’s gotten himself all tangled up in his bow and is about to topple over. Thankfully his little quiver has slipped forward to cover his cupid…stuff. I think he’s about to launch into the chorus of “YMCA.”

So, what’s the soused little fella trying to sell us anyway? This card came as part of a lot of ephemera which I recently bought (get ready, by the way, because there are about 200 additional trade cards waiting for your eager eyes). Many of them advertise for toiletry items, but this is the only one with a dipsomaniacal cherub. He wants you to know that one S. DAVIS offers you a variety of:



FANCY + AND + TOILET 
Articles, Confectionary, Cigars,
     Also a good assortment of
Choice Singing Birds, Bird
Cage’s (sic) Seeds, &c. Sold at Low-
est Prices. 



Putting aside for a moment that the ad copy was clearly written by a chimp, I must say that the assortment of goods offered up by Mr. Davis is quite impressive. We’ve got soap, candy, cigars, sundries, and BIRDS! Well. One stop shopping at its finest. I like all of those things—well, except cigars, which I think always smell like burning diapers. I think I’d have enjoyed a visit there.

Too bad it’s not 1880 and I’m not wherever this store was located. Oh well.

You know, I wasn’t planning on having a caption contest today. But, this one’s too good not to. Besides, we all seem to enjoy a drunk baby. So…

You’re aware of the drill. Put your answers in the comments.




25 comments:

Dashwood said...

Ancestor of Prince Harry.

Shawn said...

"Come on everyone! Ignore the arrow in my leg and join me in the "cupid shuffle!" All you have to do is drink from an enormous wine glass, stick your feet in a bow and follow me!!"

Much to the chagrin and embarrassment of the rest of those in faerie-land, they realized too late the dangers of letting cupid drink...

Joseph Crisalli said...

That seems about right.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Shawn. The intervention that followed was too late.

Matt said...

I didn't notice the Arrow in his little leg until Shawn pointed it out. This kids a mess. He needs more than a bath.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Yes...a tetanus shot.

April said...

I'd hate to see the toilet when he's finished with it.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh...it's...ummmmmmm....

Okay.

Gene said...

I think a store that sells birds and shampoo would be run by a drunk angel.

Sam P said...

The first episode of Seraphim Rehab.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Don't be surprised when you see that on TLC in the fall.

Carolyn said...

Studio 1854.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Ah ha! Clever!

Kathy said...

S. Davis for Fine Toilet Articles, Birds and Hangover Remedies.

Joseph Crisalli said...

It was a thriving business.

Angelo said...

Looks like me a few years ago.

Joseph Crisalli said...

You were a winged nudist dwarf?

Barb said...

Why IS there an arrow in his leg?

Joseph Crisalli said...

Lunch with Geena Davis.

Darcy said...

When the interviewer from " Putti, Seraphim, and Cherubim" Magazine asked him how he liked being the spokesmodel for Davis' Fancy and Toilet Rodolfo said" It's a great gig. I love it, wine, nudity, bows, arrows, even birds and bird seed. It's great training for my dream job. You see, I really want to be a munchkin.

Joseph Crisalli said...

You know, that would be perfect training for a life of Munchkin-ing. He just needs the shoes and a bottle of scotch and he could be right at Judy's side.

Carolyn said...

I wish I had thought of that!

Joseph Crisalli said...

We all wish we were as clever as Darcy.

Marsha said...

Poor little guy. I'd hate to see how drunk the birds are.

Joseph Crisalli said...

It's not pretty, Marsha. Not pretty at all.