Monday, August 20, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 118


Chapter 118:
History Repeated 




Upon seeing Ellen’s signal,the Baron Lensdown crept from the spot where she’d told him to hide and hurried back into the castle through the Servants’ Hall. While the regular staff of the Grange and those from Belgrave Square were attending the ball, the Servants’ Hall was filled with servers and attendants which the Duke (or, more technically, Mrs. North) had hired from nearby households and from the village. They took no notice of the Baron as he walked briskly toward the service staircase. He bounded upstairs and found Ellen standing near the window from which she had beckoned to him.

“Were you spotted?” Ellen asked, the petals of her floral bonnet fluttering as she spoke.

“No.” Lensdown replied.

“Not even by Finlay?”

“Your brother is carrying out your instructions—tempting the youngsters.”

“That’ll occupy him for awhile, at least.” Ellen nodded, glancing down at Colin who slept in her arms.

“He’s sure to realize soon enough that he’s been given a fool’s errand.”

“No.” Ellen grinned. “That’s only the first leg of his assignment.”

“Oh?”

“You needn’t know more than that.” Ellen answered curtly. “It’s a family affair.”

“My dear, I know you both intimately.” Lensdown replied dryly. ‘I don’t think you need have any secrets from me.”

“Where Finlay is concerned, I do.” Ellen sighed. “However, you can be of some assistance to me in regards to my half-brother.”

“Explain.”

“Have you spoken with him this evening?” Ellen asked.

“No.” Lensdown replied.

“Liar.”

“Ellen…” Lensdown began.

“You forget that I was downstairs all evening? I saw you with Finlay.”

“He and I exchanged pleasantries. Nothing more.”

“Is that so?” Ellen asked.

“I assure you.”

“So, you’re not conspiring with him against me?” Ellen laughed.

“Ellen.” Lensdown shook his head. “How could you ask me that? You know that my commitment to you is unwavering. I’ve done all that you’ve asked. I’ve made Finlay think that I’m cooperating with him.”

Ellen nodded. “I’m glad of it. And, you’ve told me all that he’s said of me?”

“Of course.” Lensdown lied.

“Good.” Ellen answered. “Then, you’ll have no problem completing this last task for me.”

“Not at all.” The baron answered. “Let’s deposit the child in the nursery and then we’ll go to the Duke’s chamber.”

“That’s not necessary.” Ellen shook her head.

“I don’t understand.” The baron squinted. “We need to take that baby and put him in his cradle.”

“Suddenly you care for the welfare of a child?”

“He’s just a baby.” Lensdown replied. “I’m a father myself. I’m not so heartless as to negate the importance of a young life.”

“Since when?” She frowned. “Isn’t it sweet—this change in you?” Ellen chuckled. “But, you don’t need to concern yourself with the Duke’s sister’s bastard.”

“Our plan was for you to take the child up here so that you’d have easy access to the Duke’s chamber.”

“And, I do.”

“So, let’s carry on.”

“I have changed my mind.” Ellen snapped.

“You’re not going to do something with that boy, are you?” Lensdown asked cautiously.

“I’m his governess.” Ellen snarled.

“All the more reason to deposit him in his cradle.”

“I’m also his auntie.”

“Partly.” Lendown corrected her. “Only three of us know that.”

“Nevertheless.”

“Ellen, you were governess to my own children. I know you to be many things, but the sort of monster who’d harm a child is not among them.”

“Then you need not worry about it.” Ellen laughed.

“Ellen, tell me you’re going to bring the baby to his nursery.” Lensdown demanded.

“If I were to tell you that, would you believe me?”

“I trust you.” Lensdown nodded. “Isn’t that why I’ve done for you all that I have?”

“All the better. I need you to do something else for me.”

“Precisely why I’m telling you that we should bring the child to his nursery so that we can go to the Duke’s chamber and search for…”

“I don’t need you for that after all.” Ellen shook her head.

“I thought you needed me to put the jewels in…”

“No.” Ellen interrupted. “I can do that.”

“You’ve got the child.”

“Technically, I don’t.” She chuckled. “Mrs. North has the child.” Ellen corrected him.

“Ellen, have you gone mad? You know as well as I do that Mrs. North is dead. She’s just where Finlay left her.”

“Quiet, darling.” Ellen cooed. “As far as the Duke is concerned, the woman who took his child is Mrs. North. By the time I’ve finished….” She paused. “None of it will matter. Many other tragedies will divert His Grace’s attention.”

“So, you intend to put the child in the nursery, steal the Duke’s jewels and place them on Gerard and Charles without my assistance?”

“I do.” Ellen smiled. “Though I said nothing about taking the child to the nursery. That, Victor, seems to be your concern. Remember, everyone thinks that beneath this costume is Mrs. North. Mrs. North has been charged with watching the child. Therefore, I should keep him with me. As for the rest, as I’ve said, I don’t need you as it turns out. It should be very easy for me to do.”

“Then, why involve me at all?”

“I’ve decided I need you to handle another matter for me.”

“What’s that?”

“When Finlay has finished his task, I’ve told him to wait for me atop the central tower.”

Lensdown frowned slightly.

“You’re familiar with the central tower, aren’t you?” Ellen teased.

“You know that I am.” Lensdown muttered.

“I want you to meet him there.”

“Why?”

“So that history might repeat itself.” Ellen said firmly.



Did you miss Chapters 1-117 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 119.

4 comments:

Marsha said...

I hate that Mrs. north is dead!!!

Joseph Crisalli said...

It's just one more reason to hate Ellwn,

Book Gurl said...

Me too! I hope they pay for it.

Joseph Crisalli said...

One way or another.