Monday, July 2, 2012

Treat of the Week: A Pear and Cherry Strudel with Brown Sugar Ice Cream and Butterscotch Sauce




This week’s Sunday dinner began with gorgeous grilled chicken and spinach quesadilla, luxurious homemade guacamole, limed rice, beans and fresh lemon-limeade. Needless to say, we ate far too much, but, of course, we still had room for dessert. 




Following the meal, we enjoyed a delightful pear and cherry strudel which my mother had just made. Now, I’m particularly proud of this because, for the strudel, my mother used pears which I had brought her from my very own pear tree! Yay! I grew produce! The strudel’s tender homemade crust was a wonderful counterpoint to the chewiness of the dried cherries and the firmness of the pears. Drizzled with a made-from-scratch butterscotch sauce, it was heaven. But, heaven always has more room for goodness, it seems. Along with this, we had a sumptuous dulce-de-leche like homemade brown sugar ice cream adorned with the butterscotch sauce and mini-chocolate chips. And, yes, I’m going to post a link to the Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker again because it’s the best little appliance you could ever want—well, if you want to make ice cream. 








So, I have a question for all of you. I’ve been thinking of collaborating with my mother to create a cookbook called “Eating the Belle Époque” which would feature the recipes for many of the “Treats of the Week” which you’ve seen here since 2010. However, before spend the many, many hours required to embark on such a project, we’d like to know if that’s something all of you might like to see. What do you think?



16 comments:

Carolyn said...

I think that looks wonderful. the ice cream would be a nice flavor with the Mexican food. And, YES, I'd love to see a book! I'd buy one! You'll have to sign it and get your mom to sign it.

April said...

I want a book.

Matt said...

Wish I could have had some. You know I would buy the book. I also want autographs too.

Gene said...

I would very much want a book. I would also liek some strudel.

Angelo said...

I like quesaillas cause I like cheese. I'd buy the book for the pictures. Maybe I could give it to my mom so she could cook as good as yours.

Dashwood said...

Book, please!

Book Gurl said...

I'll take a book and some ice cream.

Beth Ann said...

I'd love to have a book of these recipes. I'd love all of them!

Sam P said...

Yummy! I want a book too!

Shawn said...

Yes!! A book is a right fine idea!!

Marsha said...

I agree. I'd buy a book of your mom's recipes.

Kathy said...

Love the strudel and would love a book.

Wendy said...

Great dinner! I'd buy a book.

Barry said...

Looks delicious. I'd very much wish for a book of these treats.

Susan said...

I want a book

Mark said...

Delicious. I, too, would support a book.