Sunday, July 22, 2012

Object of the Day, Caption Contest: A Trade Card with a Hummingbird

Click Image to Enlarge



We conclude our week of celebratory caption contests with this unused trade card. The Victorians had a fascination with nature—so much so that when it died, they’d stuff it and bring it inside where it would languish under glass domes for decades.

This card was made during a period when birds, especially humming birds, were often preserved, carved and mounted on hats, fans and jewelry. It was a good time.

And, so, let’s see what you can some up for this card. For what might this have advertised? What’s happening here? What would the product be? The tagline? Thanks to everyone who participated this week. It’s been a lot of fun! We’ll do this sort of thing more often.

10 comments:

April said...

Oscar could never just leave things alone. His mother always told him he'd drown in a watering can oh he wasn't careful.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Always a danger.

Darcy said...

Calm Cathy's Chamomile Tea Shoppe

Calm Cathy is a purveyor of teas to calm you. If you are troubled by little things, say pictures of birds flying at odd angles next to vases tilted and spilling water on to empty space our teas have ingredients to desensitize you to these little annoyances.

Here's a look at what people are saying about Calm Cathy's

The Other One:
After sipping a few cups of tea at Calm Cathy's I no longer worry if my ruffles are all straight and in proper order. I don't even care that I don't have a name.

A. Monk:
Calm Cathy is a fake! Give me an hour and I'll solve the case.
"If OCD is botherin' you Calm Cathy knows what to do"

Joseph Crisalli said...

Hooray! You even worked in "The Other One." I am happy to see a narrative develop here!

Sam P said...

I was thinking that this is the start of the hummingbirds' revenge. A fluttery revolution. Darcy's answer was awesome!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Funny, Sam.

Dashwood said...

See, Little Bird,
My flowers are red!
I’ve brought them
To make sure that you’re fed
And then I’ll stuff you
Onto a hat for my head.

Visit us at:
Emma Barrett’s
Millinery and Taxidermy Shop

Carolyn said...

Darcy and Dashwood for the win!

Matt said...

Why are there flowers in a watering can?

Joseph Crisalli said...

That's the big question.