Thursday, July 26, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 97


Chapter 97: 
Fancy Dress 



Mornin’, Sir.” Ethel smiled.

“Good morning, Ethel.” Mr. Punch nodded, speaking as Julian. “Good morning, Jenny.”

Jenny blushed and looked at her shoes.

“Do come and sit across from me, please.” Mr. Punch continued.

“In here, Your Grace?” Ethel asked, looking around the palatial parlor with its pine paneling and massive maple gothic furnishing carved with hunt scenes.

“Well, certainly.”

Hesitantly, Ethel and Jenny walked across the parlor toward the two plushly upholstered chairs which stood in front of the Duke’s handsome desk.

“You may sit.” Mr. Punch nodded

They did as instructed.

Smiling, Mr. Punch began, “I’ve had some very nice discussions this morning with some of the others about their ideas for their fancy dress.”

Ethel and Jenny nodded blankly.

“Have you given any thought to what you’d like to wear?”

Ethel started to speak, but, stopped herself.

“Go on, Ethel.” Mr. Punch said with as much friendly encouragement as Julian’s voice would allow.

“Well, Your Grace.” Ethel smiled sheepishly. “I always dreamt of som’thin’.”

“What’s that?”

“It’s foolish.”

“I’m sure it isn’t. Remember, a fancy dress ball is a time to enact your fantasies. It’s a time to be what you normally cannot.”

“I’d like to be a princess, Sir.” Ethel replied softly.

“A princess?”

“Oh, it’s foolish.” Ethel blushed.

“Not at all.” Mr. Punch shook his head. He quickly began to sketch on the wide piece of paper in front of him. “What’s your favorite color?”

“I do like rose, Sir.” Ethel said, trying to look over the impressive bronze desk set—adorned with figures of stags—which sat between them.

Mr. Punch reached for a stick of pink pastel.

After a few moments, He raised the page from the desk and offered it to Ethel. The drawing showed a young woman with a face much like Ethel’s in a lovely Eighteenth Century sack-back gown of rose silk—trimmed with lace, ruffles and a fringe of cream and black passementerie.

“Oh!” Ethel squealed.

“Something like this?” Mr. Punch smiled.

“Sir!” Ethel chirped. “I…”

“Do you approve?”

“Very much.” Ethel nodded. “But, how…”

“After we’re finished, I will send Finlay to the tailor with all of our sketches and they will produce the costumes for us.”

“I don’t know what to say, Your Grace.” Ethel tittered.

“I hope it pleases you.” Mr. Punch nodded. “Now, as for your hair, Gamilla will help you dress your hair. She used to dress my sister-in-law’s hair and does a very nice job of it.”

“Your sister-in-law, Sir?” Ethel asked.

“Oh.” Mr. Punch paused. “I suppose she’s not actually that. Adrienne Halifax…Dr. Halifax’s brother’s wife. Gamilla was her maid.”

“I understand, Sir.” Ethel nodded.

“Furthermore,” Punch continued. “I’d like to loan you something to complete your ensemble.”

“Sir?”

“I’m not sure if you’re aware, but I had a sister, Lady Barbara, who is now…gone. However, I noticed the other day, in her former bed chamber, that the last time she was here she left behind some of her jewels. There’s a fine necklace of aquamarines and paste in silver. And, there’s a lovely chalcedony and chrysoprase hair ornament which, I think, would look quite smart on you. You’re welcome to borrow them for the evening provided that you’ll take good care of them.”

“I couldn’t, Sir. I’d be scared.” Ethel shook her head. “What if I were to lose them?”

“Nonsense.” Mr. Punch waved his hand. “I trust you. Mrs. Pepper will be dressed as Queen Charlotte and I’ve also decided to loan her some of the jewels which once belonged to one of the late Duchesses of Fallbridge. I’m sure these items will be quite safe with you.”

“I never…” Ethel began, her voice catching in her throat. “I never knew anyone so kind before, Your Grace.”

“If I am kind,” Punch smiled. “It is because all of you show me, my companion and my son such kindness.”

Ethel wiped away a tear. “Thank you, Your Grace.”

“As for you, Jenny…” Mr. Punch grinned. “Have you thought of what you’d like to wear?”

“Oh, Sir. I couldn’t think of nothin’.” Jenny whispered.

“No matter.” Mr. Punch nodded. “Tell me. Are you enjoying your visit to Grange Molliner?”

“Oh, yes, Your Grace.” Jenny replied, becoming more animated. “I slept like a tot. The room what Mrs. North give us is so comfortable and fine.”

“Have you had a chance to see any of the estate this mornin’?” Mr. Punch asked, slipping a little and letting his natural speaking voice intrude upon the end of the sentence. He winced for a moment and mentally chided himself to be more careful. Still, Jenny didn’t seem to notice.

“Yes, Sir.” Jenny nodded. “Mrs. Pepper said that we could go for a walk as long as we were back to see you in time. So, Ethel and me—we walked out around a bit.”

“And, what did you see?”

“All them flowers, Sir.” Jenny smiled. “I liked them special. I wanted to pick some.”

“You may, if you like. You can ask Mrs. North for a vase so you may keep some in your room.”

“Thank you, Sir.” Jenny grinned. “See, I was lookin’ at ‘em up close cuz I thought maybe we could decorate the cake with sugar flowers. Mrs. Pepper, she says we’re gonna start on the grand cake this afternoon so it’ll be ready for the ball. She never let me help her with a cake before and I’m terrible thrilled. It’s gonna be butterscotch.”

“I know.” Mr. Punch smiled. “What else did you see that you liked?”

“The horses, Sir.” Jenny replied thoughtfully. “So big and beautiful, they are. Sweet, too. They let me pet them.”

“That’s right,” Mr. Punch nodded. “Even at home, you like the horses. I’ve seen you go with Vi to the mews to see the horses when Mr. Hutchinson is grooming them.”

“I love the horses, Sir.” Jenny nodded.

“I like them, too. They look like very tall dogs to me.”

Jenny and Ethel giggled, thinking that the Duke was joking.

Punch, again, silently reminded himself to be more careful.

“What is it that you like about the horses?” He asked.

“They’re sweet and smart and soft, but strong.” Jenny replied. “When I was a girl, my uncle had a horse and he’d let me ride.”

“You enjoyed that?”

“Yes. I liked to pretend that I was a lady or even Joan of Arc.”

“Ah.” Mr. Punch nodded. “Perhaps you’d like to dress as Joan of Arc for the ball.” He began to sketch.

“Really?”

“I don’t see why not.” Punch nodded, not looking up from his drawing. “I’m sure we could make something like this…” He held up the drawing for Jenny to see. “We can supplement it with bits and pieces from the armory.”

Jenny gasped happily. “Do you think I could?”

“I think, most assuredly, that you must.” Mr. Punch said firmly.

“Oh, thank you, Your Grace.”

“Very well, then.” Punch said finally. “I think we’ve gotten that settled.”

“What will you be, Your Grace?” Ethel asked.

“Dr. Halifax and I won’t be wearing fancy dress.” Punch shook his head.

“Why not, Sir?” Ethel asked.

Punch paused. “I think, really, because we want all of you to be the focus of the ball. The night is yours, not ours. The celebration is for you, our guests of honor.”

Both Ethel and Jenny grinned.

Punch was about to speak again when Finlay entered the parlor.

Mr. Punch looked up. “Yes, Finlay?”

“The Baron Lensdown is here to see you, Sir.” Finlay answered formally.

“He’s not expected.”

“No, Sir.” Finlay bowed.

“Have you told him that I’m otherwise occupied?”

“I have, Your Grace.”

“Well, then, he should be on his way.”

“He insists upon seeing you, Your Grace.” Finlay answered.

Mr. Punch took a deep breath. Forcing himself to smile he looked to the girls. “Ethel, Jenny, thank you so much for taking this time with me this morning.”

“No, Your Grace. We should thank you.” Ethel replied.

“And, so, you just have. I hope you enjoy the rest of our morning and, Jenny, you must tell me later how the preparations for the Grange Molliner cake are progressing.”

Jenny nodded. “I will, Your Grace.”

“Now, then, if you’ll excuse me.” He rose. The girls followed his lead.

Punch looked toward Finlay. “Please lead the baron to the Hunt Room. I shall receive him there.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-96? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 98 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square.


3 comments:

Book Gurl said...

Great chapter!

Marsha said...

Another beautiful chapter. I love Punch.

Joseph Crisalli said...

I appreciate that, Marsha.