Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 95


Chapter 95: 
Mourning 

Mr. Punch and Robert bounded into the nursery to find Gamilla holding the baby close to her. She looked panicked and pale.

“Sirs!” She said frantically, hurrying over to them.

Mr. Punch took Colin from her.

“We heard a cry.” Robert said quickly. “Is anything amiss?”

“Yes.” Gamilla nodded.

“Were it you what cried?” Mr. Punch asked.

“No.” Gamilla replied. “I done heard it, too. Dog Toby did as well. He barked an’ all.” She pointed to the terrier who stood at attention near the nursery door. “I run out to look, and, then…”

“What is it, Gamilla?” Robert asked. “Who was crying?”

“I don’t know.” Gamilla shook her head. “I run out into the corridor and I didn’t see no one. I didn’t wanna leave Master Colin, so I stayed close to the door, but, when I was jus’ ‘bout to go in, I done saw it…walkin’ at the end of the passage, Sir. Just in front of the window.”

“It?” Robert raised his eyebrows. “Whatever do you mean?”

“I don’t know, Sir.” Gamilla sighed emotionally. “I don’t…” She took a deep breath. “Your Grace, Dr. Halifax, you both done known me long ‘nough for to know that I ain’t a girl who jus’ thinks she sees things…”

“Of course you’re not.” Robert smiled.

“Well, Sir, I swear I done saw a man—all in white from head to toe with a funny glow ‘round him. He was moanin’ all kind of low and funny-like he was mournin’. He done walked right past that window.” She pointed to the end of the passage.

“What did he look like?” Punch asked.

“Like I said, he was all in white. His face was as white as his coat. Only thing on him what wasn’t white was the knife he held in his hand. His right hand.”

“Knife?” Robert squinted.

“Coo.” Punch muttered, sitting down in the low, soft chair in the corner of the room. He arranged Colin comfortably in his arms. “I wonder…”

“Wonder what, dear Punch.”

“Our pa used to tell me stories o’ the ghost of Grange Molliner.”

“Ghost.” Robert grinned. “Rubbish.”

“Is it, Sir?” Gamilla asked.

“Certainly.”

“Didn’t you once say the same thing ‘bout Marie Laveau?” Mr. Punch looked up seriously. “Didn’t you once say it were rubbish what Marjani told ya, too—‘bout how she could hear folks’ thoughts? But, didn’t you yourself hear what Marjani were thinkin’ on more than one occasion?”

Robert took a deep breath. “Yes, I suppose I did.”

“So, why’s it so much rubbish to think there’s a ghost in this castle?”

“Well, it’s just that…” Robert began. He paused and shrugged. “I’m afraid I can’t answer that without being a hypocrite.”

“What about this ghost, Your Grace?” Gamilla asked.

“Well,” Punch whispered. “When Julian were a boy, his nanny…” he frowned, recalling Agnes Rittenhouse, Julian’s former governess. “She’d tell him stories of the family ghosts. There’s said to be a ghost here at Grange Molliner. The ghost of one of me pa’s ancestor’s what was stabbed to death on the tower. Nanny’d tell little Julian these things and they scared him terrible much. Didn’t scare me none, but poor Julian was terrible scared. Nanny’d say how he’d wander the grange with a knife, lookin’ for the man what killed him.”

“Why was he killed?” Gamilla asked.

“Lucas Molliner was his name. He was killed for tellin’ a secret.” Mr. Punch shook his head. “The story goes that Lucas would kill any man what tol’ a secret he’d promised to keep and that he’d keep hauntin’ the castle ‘til he found the man what done ‘im in.” Punch sighed. “That weren’t the only haint what Nanny told Julian ‘bout. She said there was ghosts at Fallbridge Hall, too—specters and shades what would watch Julian in his bed at night. She told him that the only way to keep ‘im safe were to…”

Punch stopped, his face flushed, and, for a moment, he looked as if he might be ill.

“What, dear Punch?” Robert said softly.

“That the only way to keep him safe were to boil the evil out of him in the very hot, hot bath. That way, them shades wouldn’t smell the evil on him and they’d pass him over.”

“Oh, my dear.” Robert frowned.

Punch forced himself to smile. “But, that were long ago and that woman is dead. Ain’t no one gonna hurt me or you or Colin or Gamilla. See, I never saw no ghosts. Poor Julian, between that nanny and his ma, he were convinced he saw ‘em. There were one time…” Punch trailed off again.

“Yes?” Robert asked.

“Dunno.” Punch shrugged again. “I forgot what I was sayin’.”

“That must be what I saw.” Gamilla mumbled. “That ghost of Lucas Molliner.”

“Gamilla…” Robert tilted his head to one side.

“Chum,” Punch interrupted. “We heard the moan. You and me and Dog Toby. We all heard it. So, it ain’t as if Gamilla were the only one. Sure, we didn’t see what she did, but we heard it.”

“I know, but…” Robert began. “Surely, it was something logical. Perhaps you saw one of the…”

“Who, Sir?” Gamilla asked seriously. “It was a man. All the men here were with you just when I saw the fella.”

“I suppose so.” Robert replied. He looked confused. “I’m not quite sure how to proceed.”

“What’s there to do?” Punch smiled. “Can’t lock a ghost out.”

“No.” Robert answered. “I do think that I’ll have a look around.”

“I’ll go with you.” Mr. Punch stood up and gently placed Colin in his bassinette.

“I’d rather you stayed with Colin and Gamilla.”

Mr. Punch shook his head and walked to the bell pull, ringing it. “I’m goin’ with you. Gerard can wait with Gamilla and Colin. We’ll just wait for him to come up.”

“Thank you, Your Grace.”

“Ain’t nothin’, Gamilla.” Mr. Punch smiled. “Now, you listen, whatever it were that you saw, we ain’t gonna let nothin’ hurt ya. If it were a ghost, then, just remember that it were just somethin’ from the past and what’s past can’t touch ya.”

Gamilla grinned.

Mr. Punch nodded his head and wished that he believed what he had just said. Together, they waited for Gerard.

Meanwhile, the Baron Lensdown crept into Ellen’s room.

“Hurry,” Ellen whispered anxiously, handing the man a damp flannel to wipe the waxy white make-up from his face. “You’ve got to get back into your own clothes. Finlay is expecting you.”

“Stop rushing me.” Lensdown mewed.

“Do you want Finlay to see that you’re deceiving him?” Ellen asked. “That you’re leading him into a false sense of security and, all the while, helping me?”

“He’s not going to know a thing.” Lensdown huffed. “As far as he knows, I’m in here presenting you with the ultimatum which he suggested.”

“He’s no fool.” Ellen said, helping Lensdown remove his bright white coat and waistcoat. She reached up and snatched the white powdered wig from his head. “You know he’s counting the minutes since he saw you come into the house. He’ll only linger in the Servants’ Hall for so long before he comes up to look for you.”

“He won’t suspect a thing.” Lensdown sniffed.

“How can you be sure?”

“Because he’s in love with me.” The baron replied.

“He doesn’t know how to love. My brother is only preoccupied with hatred.”

“I know otherwise.” Lensdown nodded.

“Hurry.” Ellen snorted. “Did the African see you?”

“Yes.” The baron answered.

“Did anyone else?”

“No.”

“I wanted the Duke to see you.”

“Well, he didn’t.” Lensdown snapped. “The doctor was with him. I didn’t think it was safe.”

“We’ll try again tomorrow.” Ellen nodded.

“Have you convinced Finlay to dispose of those two valets?”

“Yes.” Ellen smiled. “We’re so close, my darling.” She pulled him into a kiss, but he pulled back quickly.

“I must hurry.” He smiled. “As you said.”

“Of course.”

“I’m to meet with Finlay tomorrow morning while the Duke is talking with the staff about their attire for the ball.” Lendsown continued as he changed his clothes. “I’ll tell him that I spoke with you and that you were appropriately intimidated.”

“Wonderful.” Ellen nodded. She reached beneath her pillow and retrieved a small glass flask. “Take this.”

“Is it…” The baron asked.

“It’s enough. I took it from the doctor’s bag when last he checked on me. Put this in her tea. She won’t notice it.”

“She won’t taste it?”

“No.”

The baron looked blankly at the bottle.

“Ellen, there must be another way. I don’t…I don’t think I can kill her.”

“Why not?” Ellen snarled.

“It’s murder.”

“You’ve done it before!” Ellen growled. “And, this time, you’re much older and wiser. You won’t have to fear being caught this time.”

“Ellen…”

“There’s no other way, Victor!” Ellen said. “Now get out of here before Finlay starts to become suspicious. Go to your right and slip out the courtyard door. You can make your way through the shrubbery unnoticed. No one will be in this part of the house at the moment.”

“What if I’m caught?”

“Don’t get caught.”

“But, what if I am?”

“You’ll think of something, my dear. You always do.” Ellen smiled.



Did you miss Chapters 1-94 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 96.

No comments: