Saturday, June 30, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 76


Chapter 76: 

Fits 



Whatever do you mean, Miss Barrett?” Gamilla asked, stepping forward. “Where you been? The whole household’s gone out their heads lookin’ for ya. The masters and all.”

“Don’t come near me!” Ellen yelped, pressing her back against the door. “Don’t bring the baby near me!”

“Why-ever not?” Gamilla asked, stopping in her tracks.

“I’m ill, terribly, terribly ill.”

“Is ya?” Gamilla asked. “Poor dear, you did look poorly in the carriage. What’s troublin’ ya?”

“Everything. I think I have a horrible fever.” Ellen moaned.

“I’m so sorry for to hear it.” Gamilla said gently. “But, if you been sick, why not come to me or Mr. Speaight or Mrs. Pepper. Don’t ya think goin’ out on the moors would make it worse, Miss Ellen?”

“I don’t understand,” Ellen coughed.

“You done went out, Miss.” Gamilla answered.

“No. No, I didn’t.”

“Sure ya did.” Gamilla squinted. “That’s why everyone’s been lookin’ for ya.”

“I was in my room.”

“They done searched your room, Miss Ellen.” Gamilla shook her head.

“Are you calling me a liar?”

“Well, no, Miss Ellen. But, Mrs. North done looked in your room. Mrs. Pepper did, too.”

“Did they look under the bed?”

“Under the bed, Miss?” Gamilla raised her eyebrows.

“I must have fainted and rolled under the bed. That’s where I awoke.”

“That don’t make sense.” Gamilla frowned thoughtfully. “I done fainted before and I don’t recall fallin’ and rollin’.”

“Well, that’s what happened!” Ellen howled.

“As you say, Miss.” Gamilla nodded. She placed Collin in his cradle and walked forward.

“I told you not to come near me!” Ellen wailed.

“I ain’t, Miss Ellen. I’m goin’ for the bell for to ring for Mr. Speaight.”

“Why?” Ellen asked.

“So folks know to stop lookin’ for ya. The boys and Finlay are out roamin’ the estate. The stablemen is lookin’ for ya. The maids done crawled all over the castle and, even the masters is out lookin’.”

“I’m so sorry to have put everyone to so much trouble.” Ellen whispered. “If only they’d just looked under…”

“Yes, under the bed.” Gamilla nodded, ringing the bell. “Miss, I don’t wanna be impolite, but if you is ill, maybe you’d ought not be in the nursery.”

“Of course,” Ellen nodded, turning around the open the door. “How is Colin?”

“He’s a good boy, Miss.” Ellen smiled. “You heard him—he done said his first word. His pappy’s name.”

“Yes, I heard.” Ellen sniffed. “He must love his father very much.”

“Most folk do, Miss.”

“Most.” Ellen scowled.

“Why don’t we go out in the corridor, Miss?” Gamilla nodded.

“We?” Ellen shook her head. “You can’t leave Colin. With me in this condition, you’re going to have to look after him for awhile.”

“Oh, I know.” Gamilla smiled. “That’s fine, Miss. Only, I’m gonna step out into the corridor and stay with ya ‘til Mr. Speaight comes.”

“What if Colin needs something?”

“I’ll hear him through the door, Miss.” Gamilla said brightly.

“You don’t have to watch me.”

“Well, Miss Ellen, if you’re this poorly, I think I’d best. Mr. Speaight can help ya back to your room and, then, we can fetch Dr. Halifax to have a look at ya.”

“He can’t.” Ellen shook her head as Gamilla essentially forced her out into the passage.

“Why not?” Gamilla squinted. “The doctor done examines ladies all the time. You don’t think he’s gonna look at ya? Even if he did, he’s…well, it won’t be nothin’ to him.”

“It’s not that.” Ellen puffed. “If Dr. Halifax examines me, he could become contaminated. The Duke is just recovering. He’s already weakened. We can’t afford to spread this to His Grace.”

“I’m sure the doctor knows what to do.”

“Good Heavens!’ A man’s voice bellowed from the end of the passage. “Miss Barrett, what in the name of God have you been doing?”

Ellen and Gamilla turned around to see the Duke and the doctor followed by Speaight.

“Speaight said you’d rung, Gamilla.” Mr. Punch said as they got closer. “Dr. Halifac and I thought we’d come and check on Colin since we’d given up the search for Miss Barrett.”

“With good reason,” Robert growled. “How long have you been here.”

“Dr. Halifax,” Gamilla began. “Miss Ellen says she’s sick, Sir.”

“So you come to my infant son’s room?” Robert snapped. “Are you aware that every member of the staff has been searching for you?”

“I am now, Sir.” Ellen lowered her head.

“Where on Earth have you been?” Robert demanded.

“In my room, Sir.”

“The hell you were.” Robert scowled.

“Chum…” Punch whispered.

“Your Grace!” Robert moaned. “She’s lying…”

Punch shook his head. “Miss Barrett, you know your room was searched.”

“She says she fainted, Sirs, and rolled under the bed.” Gamilla explained.

Ellen frowned, but nodded.

“Is that so?” Punch asked. “I’ve fainted and I don’t think I rolled after I fell.”

“Honestly…” Robert shook his head.

“I know it sounds strange, Sir. But, I’m dreadfully ill.”

“We shall see if you are.” Robert snorted. He turned to Speaight. “Speaight, I’d like to borrow Gamilla for a few moments. I’d like her to attend while I examine Miss Barrett. Will you please ask Charles to sit with Colin?”

“Charles, Gerard and Finlay are still out looking for Miss Barrett, Sir.” Speaight answered softly.

“Oh, I’d forgotten…” Robert muttered.

“I’ll stay with me boy.” Punch chirped.

“Oh, thank you, my dear.” Robert nodded.

“He done said his first word, Your Grace.” Gamilla said proudly.

“Did he?” Punch whooped. “What was it?”

“It was ‘Punch,’ Sir.”

“How ‘bout that.” Punch beamed.

“I couldn’t be prouder.” Robert blushed. “I hate to think that we missed it. Actually,” he glowered at Ellen, “had we not been on a fool’s escapade, we wouldn’t have.”

“Dr. Halfax,” Ellen moaned. “I’m sorry to have caused this trouble, but…” Suddenly, her eyelids began to flutter.

“Miss Barrett…” Punch narrowed his eyes.

“I…” Ellen rasped just before she fell in a heap on the cold, stone floor. Her body shuddered for a moment, and with a great spasm, she rolled slightly to the right.

“Very dramatic.” Robert mumbled, stepping out of the way.

“Maybe she got that illness what gives a body fits. Ya know—all shakin’ and thrashin’ and such. Had an uncle like that on the Molliner side. Used to flop about like fish, he did. The Duchess hated him. But, it could ‘xplain why she found herself under the bed.”

“That’s interesting thinking, dear Punch. However, this is not quite how that illness presents itself, my dear.” Robert sighed.

“Oh.” Punch shrugged. “I got no idea, then.”

Punch, Speaight, Robert and Gamilla all stood looking at one another for a few seconds.

“Perhaps we should move her, Sir.” Speaight said after a bit.

“I suppose so.” Robert sighed.

“I’ll take her feet, Sir.” Speaight nodded. Together, he and Robert picked up the woman.

“Gamilla, will you come with us, please?” Robert asked.

“Of course.” Gamilla nodded.

“I’ll be with Colin,” Punch shrugged. “What you gonna do with Miss Barrett?”

“I’m going to examine her.” Robert said over his shoulder as they slowly carried her off. “And, if she’s ill, I will help her. If she’s not, she’s going to have to find her way back from Scotland on her own.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-75? If so, you can read them here. Come back on Monday for Chapter 77 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square.


No comments: