Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 486

What are you doing?”  Barbara Allen gasped as she watched Mr. Punch hand the Molliner Blue Diamond to Lily.

“I’m giving this jewel to this lady, I am.”  Mr. Punch smiled.

“Why?”  Barbara howled.  “Do you have any idea what I had to endure to convince Big Ollie to return this to me?  I did that so my…your son could one day have his grandfather’s diamond!  And, you…you give it to this…this woman?”

“It’s mine to do with as I please.”  Mr. Punch responded.  “It was always mine.  It lived in me head, it did.”

“What?”  Barbara snapped.

“No matter.”  Mr. Punch said quickly.  “The diamond belongs to me.  If I want to give it to Miss Lily, I will.”

Robert grinned.  “He’s correct, Miss Allen.  This doesn’t concern you.”

“It most certainly does.”  Barbara replied.  “If I’d known you were just going to give it away…”

Mr. Punch held up his hand.  “You have no say in this.  I don’t know why you think you do.  This is the diamond what you stole from me.  This is part of the reason we’ve had all the trouble we have, it is.  Now, I don’t regret none of that trouble because the result of it is that I’m gonna go home with Robert and Colin—me own family.  Had it not been for your selfishness and wickedness, I wouldn’t have no family so I can’t hate you too much.  But, Barbara, I’ll tell you right this minute, you’d best keep quiet before I forget how fortunate I am and start hatin’ you again.”

Barbara clucked her tongue.

“Will you take this?”  Punch asked Lily, satisfied that Barbara would remain silent.

“I don’t want nothin’ with a curse on it.”  Lily frowned.

“There’s no curse.”  Mr. Punch sighed.  “It’s a beautiful thing.  Me pa…”  He paused and corrected himself.  “My father—Sir Colin Molliner—he found this diamond and brought it home.  He gave it to me to keep safe.  Now he’s gone and the diamond is mine.  I want you to have it.”

“What am I gonna do with it?”  Lily frowned.  “I can’t sell it.  Folk’ll think I stole it.”

“No.”  Marie interjected.  “Not if the Duke writes a letter sayin’ he gave it to you.  I’ll help ya, too.  You know Mrs. Cloutier?”

“The jeweler’s wife.”  Lily nodded.  “I dress her hair for ya.”

“Yes.”  Marie nodded.  “She’ll buy this from ya.  I know she will—‘specially if the Duke sends a letter with it.  I’ll talk with her—with you there.  She’ll buy it and you can keep the money.”

“How can you be sure?”

“I’m sure.”  Marie grinned.

“I’ll happily write a letter.”  Mr. Punch added.

“I don’t know.”  Lily sighed, studying the stone in her hand.  Her baby reached for it, but she moved her fist so his little fingers couldn’t get to it.

“Lily, you asked for payment.  This is what we have to offer.”  Robert said patiently.

“Fine.”  Lily nodded after awhile.  “You can have him.”

“Him?”  Barbara squawked, unable to hold her silence any longer.  “The child?  You’re buying her child?”

“If you want to look at it that way.”  Robert frowned.

“What do you want with another baby?”  Barbara ranted.  “You’ve already got mine.  For all of the upbraiding you gave me about selling Colin, you have the audacity to buy another baby?”

“They ain’t buyin’ my son!”  Lily spat.  “They’re givin’ him a new home for me.  I’m just a girl myself.  I can’t raise no baby!  They’re helpin’ me!  And, they settled this fine gift on me.”

“So now Colin has a brother?”  Barbara snarled. 

“Mind you business, Girl.”  Marie warned.

“What’s going on here?”  Barbara continued.  “You said this would mean Colin’s freedom…”  

She snorted and paused.  “Oh…I see.”

“Do you?”  Robert asked curtly.

“You’re going to give this boy to Edward Cage.”  Barbara’s eyes widened.  “Instead of Colin.”

“You better keep quiet, Miss Allen,”  Marie barked, standing up.

“I will.”  Barbara smiled.  “I think it’s a fine idea.”

“I’m so glad to have your approval.”  Robert muttered.

“Can I be of assistance?”  Barbara asked.

“You can leave.”  Robert retorted.  “That would be helpful.”

“I know you detest me, Doctor.”  Barbara grinned.  “I’m not too fond of you either.  Isn’t it funny?  You delivered my son.  You’ve been a part of this from the very start…”

“And, now I’ll be here for the conclusion.”  Robert said firmly.

“Let me take the child to Mr. Cage.”  Barbara spoke up.  “Please.”

“Why?”  Punch asked.

“Because, he’ll be more inclined to believe that he’s regained the boy if he comes from me.  I carried Colin.  I gave him to Iolanthe to sell and I still work for Iolanthe.  If you return the boy, Mr. Cage will question it.  If I return him, he’ll think I’m doing it for Iolanthe to maintain our original arrangement.”

“She makes sense.”  Marie grumbled, “As much as I hate to say it.  But, how do we know we can trust ya?”

“I brought the diamond back to them, didn’t I?”

“You did.”  Mr. Punch nodded.

“You know I’d rather Colin stay with you.”  Barbara said.

“But, I also know you been doin’ all you can to make us suffer.”  Mr. Punch frowned.

“Not in this instance, Brother.”  Barbara pleaded.  “Let me do this.  Not for you, but for my son.  That will allow me to  know that he’s safe.”

Robert and Punch looked at one another.

Punch sniffed.  “What do you think, Marie?”

Marie glared at Barbara.  “You know that if you hurt these two men again, you’ll have to answer to me.  And, I’ll make sure you suffer for it—forever.”

“I am aware.” Barbara replied.  “I don’t quite know why you’re in league with my brother now—considering all you did to torture him, but I am certain that when you form an allegiance you’re quite loyal.”

“Speaking of loyalty,”  Robert began.  “You just admitted that you’re back under Iolanthe’s direction.  How can we be sure that you won’t just take this information back to Iolanthe and ruin our chances of escape?”

“My love for my son is greater than my loyalty to Iolanthe.”  Barbara snapped.

“The son you placed in a burlap bag and carried aboard a ship?  The son you treated like merchandise?”  Robert growled.

“I should be offended.”  Barbara replied.  “And, if it weren’t true, I would.  However, as much as a loathe you, I know you’re right to think what you do.  Doctor, you have no idea how much I suffer for what I’ve done to my own child.  You have no idea how much I want to make up for it.  You have every right to distrust me, but I am in earnest.”

“What if I were to go with her?”  Marie asked.  “What if I were to walk with her to Edward Cage’s and wait in hiding while she offered the boy to him?”

“I suppose that would suffice.”  Robert nodded.  “Providing she had no chance to rush back to Iolanthe beforehand.”

“We could do it now.”  Barbara added.

“Now?”  Lily spoke up.  “You want my baby now?”

“Have you changed your mind, Miss?”  Robert asked evenly.

Lily looked at her son as tears welled in her eyes.  “Take him.”

Mr. Punch looked at Lily.  “Are you sure?”

“Take him!”  Lily snapped.

Punch took the child from Lily. 

“Get him out of here.”  Lily sobbed.

Mr. Punch took the child from the room. 

Barbara and Marie followed him.

“Lily, I know this must be difficult for you.”  Robert said once they were alone.

“What do you know ‘bout it?”  Lily spat through her tears.

“I suppose I don’t know exactly.  However, when I was a boy, I had to take my mother to a…place.  She was ill.  I knew that I had to do it—for her own good.  However, I hated to leave her there because I knew I’d never see her again.”

“Did you do it?”  Lily asked.

“Yes.”

“Did you ever see her again?”

“No.”

They sat in silence.

Robert broke the quiet after awhile.  “It wasn’t the best place in the world.  I admit that.  

However, they were able to care for her better than I was.  I was too young.  I didn’t have the strength and experience to offer my mother the sort of care that she needed.  So, at least, for awhile, she received the treatment that she required.  It broke my heart to do it.  But, I don’t regret it.”

“Maybe you do understand.”  Lily nodded.

“How about I write that letter for the Duke?  That way, when Marie returns she can take you to that woman…what was her name?”

“Mrs. Cloutier.”  Lily sniffed.  She lifted the diamond to the dim light and studied it.  “It sure is beautiful.”

“It is.”

“Not as beautiful as my son.”

“How could it be?”  Robert agreed.  “However, as you look into it, know that you’ve done the right thing.  See that with every sparkle.”

“All I see is blue,”  Lily mumbled.  “Like his eyes.”

“Let that comfort you, then.”  Robert smiled.  “And every time you look at the sky, know that your son will be living a life of wealth and comfort.”

“I’ll try, Doctor.”  Lily nodded.  “I’ll try.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-485?  If so, you can read them here.  

No comments: