Friday, March 9, 2012

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 483

Lily looked from face-to-face in Marie Laveau’s dimly-lit front parlor.  She hugged her child tightly.  Finally, her eyes settled on Mr. Punch.

“Marie done tol’ me for to call ya, ‘Your Grace.’  You tell me to call ya ‘Mr. Punch.’  The two names don’t sound like the same thing.  One is light and pretty, the other is hard and ugly.”

“That’s me.”  Mr. Punch nodded.  “I ‘spose like all men, I’m a bit o’ both.  But, ‘Punch’ is a fine thing, too.  When it don’t mean hittin’, it means a fine drink what ya swallow at parties—all spicy and warm.  Punch can make you laugh and make everythin’ seem all right.  That’s what I aim to do, Miss.”

Lily smiled.

“And you thought you were without charm,”  Robert whispered behind Punch’s ear.

“Will you please sit?”  Punch asked the girl.

Marie pulled out a chair from beneath the table and offered it to the young woman.  She sat reluctantly, balancing her baby on her lap.

Punch and Robert also grabbed chairs and sat across from Lily.

“I’ll leave ya to talk,”  Marie nodded.

“No…”  Lily said quickly.  “Please stay.”

“These men ain’t gonna do ya no harm.”  Marie clucked her tongue.  “I done tol’ ya that they’re fine gentlemen.”

“No, Lily’s correct.”  Robert spoke up.  “Marie, you should stay.  You’re as much a part of this as any of us.”

“If you like.”  Marie smiled, sitting on the edge of the table.

“He’s a fine lookin’ boy, your son.  You must love him a terrible lot.”  Punch began.

“I reckon.”  Lily nodded.  “Looks like his daddy.  Maybe too much.”

“Has his father met him?”  Robert asked.

“No.”   Lily shook her head.  “And, he ain’t gonna.”

“Shouldn’t he?”  Robert continued.

“I ain’t gonna talk ‘bout him.”  Lily answered firmly.

“As you wish,”  Robert nodded.

“Must be hard bringin’ up a baby all by yourself.  You got family what helps ya?”  Punch asked.

“No.”  Lily shook her head.  “My folks is all dead.  Last one took ill wit’ the fever and died two weeks ago.”

“I’m terrible sorry.”  Robert answered sincerely.  “Where do you live?”

“I gotta room.  Just a room.  Marie got it for me.  It’s in the back of one of the other girl’s places.  She got a husband and kids of her own, plus, like me she works for Marie.  So, she don’t got time for to fool with me and my baby.”  Lily answered.

Mr. Punch watched as the child reached up and put his little hand on his mother’s face.

“He loves his mama.”  Punch smiled.

“Sure he does.”  Lily frowned.  “But, he shouldn’t.  I ain’t no good.”

“Why would you say such a thing?”  Robert asked.

“You’re a good woman, Lily.”  Marie nodded.  “You’re a fine worker.”

“Bein’ a fine worker don’t make me no good mama.”  Lily scowled.

“Lily…”  Robert began, but Lily interrupted him.

“I don’t mean to be rude, Sir,”  Lily sighed, “but, why am I here?  Do you men want my boy?  Marie said you got a boy of your own.  You want him to have a brother or somethin’?”

“Not exactly.”  Robert shook his head.

“What is it, then?”  Lily asked, clearly looking disappointed.

“Do you know a man named Edward Cage?”  Robert asked.

“Heard the name.   He’s the fella with that waxworks.  Very rich man.”

“He’s looking to adopt a son.”  Robert explained.

“He wants my boy?”

“No.”  Punch responded.  “He wants mine.  I was hopin’ that if you…”

Lily interrupted Punch.  “You want to give him my boy instead.”

“Yes.”  Punch answered honestly.

Lily frowned and looked down at her child.

“I know it must be a difficult thing for you to…”  Robert said, but Lily interrupted him again.

“You don’t know nothin’ ‘bout it, with respect, Sir.”  Lily snapped.

“Of course.”

“You’re jus’ askin’ me for to give up my chil’.  Jus’ give him ‘way.”

“Yes.”  Punch nodded.

“I won’t do it.”  Lily shook her head.




Did you miss Chapters 1-482?  If so, you can read them here.  

No comments: