Saturday, March 3, 2012

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 478


Mr. Punch looked around Marie Laveau’s cramped,  disheveled front parlor.  “Coo!  What happened in here?  Looks like you had a fire.”

“Yes,”  Marie sighed, greeting her namesake daughter with a hug.

“Here, we had enough fire for one day, I’d say.”  Punch frowned.

“Ain’t that the truth?”  Gamilla muttered to herself.

“Marie,”  The elder Laveau said to her daughter, “these folks gonna be stayin’ with us ‘til they can get on another ship.”

Young Marie nodded in confusion, her eyes darting across the rather weary and worn looking group. 

“I know what you’re thinkin’, honey.”  Marie whispered to her daughter.  “But, it’s all fine.  We done made friends.”

“Mama, how you feelin’?”  Young Marie whispered.

“Powerful tired, honey.”  Marie answered her daughter.  “I gotta get a bath and get out of this…”  She shuddered a little when she looked down at her blood-stained dress.  Clearing her throat, she added, “I ‘spect these folk’s gonna want to bathe, too.  Now, you go get the girls and try to make a couple of the rooms nice for these people.”

She turned to Mr. Punch and his party.  “I’m ‘fraid you’re gonna be cramped.  We can clear up a couple rooms—one for the men, one for the ladies.  But, you’ll be on top of each other ‘til ya can get home.  Still, I reckon this is the safest place for ya.”

“It is, and we do certainly appreciate your hospitality.”  Robert smiled.  “The captain of the ship told us there’d be another vessel ready in a few days.  We won’t be here long.  Still, I can’t imagine what we’d do if you hadn’t opened your home to us.”

“Ain’t nothin’.”  Marie waved her hand in the air.  “Now, if ya’ll will excuse me.  Come on, Marie.”  With that, Marie Laveau and Young Marie left the room.

For a moment, Punch and his group stood in silence, looking around Marie’s house.

“Well, I’ll say it,”  Charles spoke up.  “I never thought we’d be staying the night in Marie Laveau’s house.”

Cecil chuckled.  “It wasn’t on my list of desired destinations.  However, we have little choice.  Not only are the authorities after us, but Edward Cage, and…well, God knows who else.”
Robert nodded.  “We’ll just have to make the best of it.  Now,”  He took attendance.  “We have His Grace, me, Cecil, Charles, Gerard, the two children, Adrienne, Marjani, Gamilla, Columbia, a dog and a puppet.  Not to mention Pete and his five companions.”

“It’ll be tight.”  Cecil nodded.

Pete, who had joined the group while his friends waited outside stepped forward.  “Me and my boys can find somewhere else.”

“No, no.”  Cecil said.  “I’m quite serious in my offer.  When we get back to England, you and your companions will all find employment with me.  We’d rather you stay with us.  We owe you so much.”

“Aw, Sir.”  Pete replied sheepishly.  “We don’t wanna be in the way.”

“We’ll find a spot for you.”  Cecil shook his head.

“We don’t need much.  Jus’ a spot for to lay our heads.”  Pete answered.

“You’ll have more than that.”  Cecil smiled.

Adrienne had been watching Mr. Punch for quite some time, finally she spoke.  “You’re awfully quiet, Your Grace.”

“Am I?”  Punch shrugged.  “Only I’m tired, I’d guess.”

“Is something on your mind?”  Robert asked his friend.

“Sure.”  Punch nodded.  “Lots o’ things.”

“I know what you’re thinkin’.”  Marjani sniffed.

“I’m sure you do.”  Punch chuckled.

“The Duke’s worried that Mr. Cage is gonna find us.”  Marjani continued.

“I am.”  Punch nodded.

“If dat man comes near ya,”  Pete spoke up, “he’s gonna have to answer to me.”

“Here, I ‘preciate that, big Chum.”  Punch grinned.  “Only, it ain’t your fight.  When they time comes, it’ll be me what has to contend with it.”

Little did Punch know, but that fight was coming sooner than he thought.  Cloaked in the growing darkness, Ty Odo peered into the side window of Marie’s parlor.  Licking his lips, he raced home to his employer, Edward Cage, with the news that the boy he called “Holt” was still in New Orleans.



Did you miss Chapters 1-477?  If so, you can read them here.  Come back on Monday for Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 479.  

No comments: