Monday, February 6, 2012

Treat of the Week: Tender Fruit Kolachke




Kolachkes (also spelled kolache, kolace, kolach or kolacky) are tender, puffy pastry rounds which are filled with a dollop of fruit preserves. The buttery, supple dough rises up in pillows around the fruit and the finished product is often adorned with a lovely sugar glaze.

These desserts, often enjoyed at wedding celebrations, have a Central European ancestry and are claimed by bakers in both Poland and Czechoslovakia. However, kolachke enjoy a great popularity in the United States, especially in Texas, curiously. My home state boasts a variety of kolachke bakeries and festivals dedicated to this delicious treat.

My mother surprised us with a beautiful batch of buttery kolachkes this weekend. She’s never made them before, and, frankly, despite their ubiquitous-ness here, I’ve never had one. I can say that I find them quite delightful. My mother’s version features the traditional tender dough, cut into scalloped rounds (rich with sour cream and butter), filled with peach jam, tangerine marmalade, strawberry jam and raspberry jam, and a beautiful sugar glaze.

If you’re fan of kolachkes, or, like me, new to the treat, do a search for the recipe of your choice. Several versions are available. You will be quite happy with the results. They're great alone or enjoyed, as we did, with a cup of chocolate pudding and a cup of tea.





15 comments:

April said...

I'd gobble those up. Nom nom nom!

Carolyn said...

Oh, sweet happy memories of carefree girlhood with a late of these and a glass of milk. These look so much prettier than the ones I had as a girl. I'm sure they're scrummy-yummy.

Matt said...

There is a big kolace event near where I grew up. I have got to say that your mom's are as Carolyn says much prettier than the messy ones I have always seen. I love them especially the berry ones. MB

Gene said...

My great grandmother from Poland made kolache and she made them with prune. I think yours are better. You would like to know that I made the cookies from your great grandmother over the weekend from the recipe you put up some weeks ago and they were very good. I'm very proud of myself. I made them for my superbowl party and they were the first to go. For once I gave a good party. Thank you.

Book Gurl said...

My daughter would love these since she loves jams and jellies.

Sam P said...

Very nice!

Anonymous said...

Kolaches are my favorite!

Barry said...

Brilliant stuff!

Joseph Crisalli said...

They nom nom nicely, April.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Glad to bring back some good memories, Carolyn.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Matt, I dont know how I've managed to live in Texas for twenty-five years (god!) without eating a kolachke. But I'm glad to catch up. By the way, there's some stuff coming up on tomorrow's posts which I think you'll enjoy.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Gene, that makes me so happy and I know mr great-grandmother would have been very pleased! Thank you!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Give them a try, Book Gurl.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thanks, Sam.

Joseph Crisalli said...

I appreciate that, Barry. I hope you're surviving the snow!