Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 438

Mr. Punch staggered backward and cupped his ears with his hands, shaking his head.

“Did you hear that?” He shouted toward Marjani and Adrienne who stood with the children by the fire.

Adrienne nodded.

Marjani sighed, “Yes, Sir.”

Punch scrambled back to the ladies. “What were that? Laughter?”

“Yes.” Marjani answered softly.

“Who was laughin’, Grandmama?” Columbia asked innocently.

“It ain’t nothin’, honey.” Marjani smiled softly at her granddaughter. “You know, folk jus’ laugh when they is happy.”

“Marie.” Punch gasped.

“What’s wrong, Uncle Punch?” Columbia asked. “Who is Marie?”

“Nobody, little chum.” Punch shook his head.

“Is she who was laughing?” Columbia continued.

“Yes.” Punch nodded.

“Why?” Columbia smiled, enjoying the attention of the adults. “Is it cuz of what you jus’ threw in the water.”

Punch looked to Marjani who nodded almost imperceptibly.

“That’s it.” Punch replied to the girl. “See, I think maybe this Marie is havin’ her fun.”

“How?” Columbia continued.

“Maybe she played a trick on us.” Punch answered.

“What kind of trick?” Columbia wondered.

“That’s enough, Columbia.” Marjani interrupted. “Mr. Punch will play with you later.”

“I ain’t playin’, Grandmama.” Columbia replied. “I’m askin’ questions. You done tol’ me that it’s fittin’ to ask questions cuz that’s how a girl learns.”

“True.” Marjani smiled. “But, Mr. Punch has got important things for to do.”

“How’s Gerard?” Adrienne interjected.

Punch glanced at Columbia before answering. She looked up at him with wide, interested eyes.

Adrienne nodded. “I see.”

Punch sighed. “Listen, I gotta go back over there with the other men and Gamilla, I do. But, I’ll be back. Ain’t no reason for ya to worry.”

“We ain’t worried, Uncle Punch.” Columbia said proudly.

“Columbia, would you like to stay with me for a little while?” Adrienne said slyly. “You and the Dog Toby can help me look after the boys.”

“Where will Grandmama go?” Columbia asked.

“I think maybe she should go with Mr. Punch to see if she can help him and the men.” Adrienne replied.

Punch raised his eyebrows. “I don’t like leavin’ you alone here.”

“I best stay,” Marjani nodded. “Mr. Punch knows all I know.”

Punch nodded. “I do.” With that, he hurried off back to Robert, Cecil and Gerard.

Robert and Gamilla had climbed into the cart with Gerard while Cecil stood by.

“We’ve been fooled,” Cecil barked as Punch joined them. “That Laveau witch sent Gerry back with a curse.” He groaned. “I never believed in any of this foolishness before, but I think that woman has truly just cursed us.”

“We was already cursed, chum.” Punch sighed. “How’s Gerry?”

Robert looked up, “Now that Punch is here, Cecil, perhaps you should join Marjani and Adrienne. I don’t like that they’re alone over there with the children. I have a feeling that what’s happened to Gerry is just the beginning of what’s about to befall us.”

“Yes, of course.” Cecil nodded. “You’ll…”

“We’ll join you all in a moment,” Robert nodded.

“Very well.” Cecil said.

“So, how is he?” Punch asked as Cecil walked away.

“Shocked more than anything else.” Robert said. “He has no broken bones. Just cuts, and, of course, these scratches.” Robert pointed to the three Xs scratched onto Gerard’s head.

“What them marks mean?” Punch asked.

“It’s Marie Laveau’s mark.” Gamilla spat. “She done sent us a message. She don’t want us goin’ anywhere.”

“Why not?” Punch growled. “What’s it to her what we do?”

“She got plans for you, Sir.” Gamilla said. “Don’t know what, but she got plans.”

“I don’t bloody care what her plans are, I don’t.” Mr. Punch shouted. “We’re goin’ ‘way from here. We’re goin’ today!”

“Are we?” Robert asked, looking up from Gerard.

“We are.” Punch said firmly. “You say Gerry will get better?”

“He will. In time. He needs rest.” Robert nodded.

“And rest he shall have. On the ship—with us—when we leave.”

“You’re gonna get on that water?” Gamilla asked. “Knowing that Marie done jus’ cursed it.”

“She can’t curse the whole sea, she can’t. Sure, she fooled us into throwing that bag into the water. But there are things what are bigger than Marie Laveau and the sea’s one of ‘em.”

“Don’t be so sure.” Gamilla shook her head. “I’ll bet Marjani will agree with me.”

“I don’t care.” Punch moaned. “I don’t care. I just don’t. Ain’t nowhere safe. If she cursed the sea, that’s fine, I’m still goin’ and so are the rest of us. She cursed this land, too, she did. Is it better to stay here and battle her or try to get ‘way? Seems to me, leavin’ for home is the best thing. Maybe she cursed us, only we don’t got to stay here. We can get away from her, we can.”

“And die trying?” Gamilla asked. “I know it ain’t fit for me to speak so to ya. And, for that, I’m terrible sorry. But, I don’t want to see nothin’ happen to any of us.”

“If we stay here, we’ll lose what we already got.” Punch answered emotionally.

“And, if we leave, we may be riskin’ much more.” Gamilla warned.



Did you miss Chapters 1-437? If so, you can read them here.

No comments: