Monday, December 19, 2011

Treat of the Week: More Christmas Cookies



We’ve already seen three of this year’s assortment of Christmas cookies from my mother’s kitchen. Now, here’s the rest. I can’t imagine how she manages to do this every year. One batch of cookies from scratch is a lot of work, but to do this many is nothing short of miraculous. Each cookie and piece of candy is carefully planned, prepared and decorated. Let’s take a look at these delicious masterpieces. Consult the map above, the number of each cookie corresponds.




1. Ischl Tarts: delightful tarts made from a dough of almonds and cream cheese, sandwiched with raspberry jam and dusted with confectioner’s sugar. A long-time family favorite!



2. Chocolate-dipped Sugar Squares: new this year, these tender sugar cookie squares are dipped in white and dark chocolate and then sprinkled with crushed peppermint or sprinkles for a wonderful candy-like kick.



3. Pecan Tassies: drizzled with melted milk chocolate, these tarts begin with a delicate cream cheese dough, filled with chopped pecans, brown sugar, bourbon and chocolate chips. A true Southern delight!



4. Praline Cookies: Chewy sugar cookies with a nutty flavor are topped with glorious pecan pralines. One of my favorites!



5. Chocolate Thumb-prints: A crisp, rich chocolate cookie shell is filled with a luscious, creamy apricot icing and drizzled with dark chocolate. New this year, they are a welcome addition to the line-up.



6. Butterscotch Cookies: The battle is on. Each year we fight over who gets the last of these beautiful butterscotch cookies. Soft and delicious, they’re iced with a melt-in-your mouth butterscotch frosting, adorned with sanding sugar.



7. “Aunt Ida” Cookies: my mom has been making this cookies since she was a little girl. Cream cheese dough pillows are filled with alternating mixtures of assorted nuts, chocolate, brown sugar, cinnamon, cranberries, raisins and cherries. Dusted with cinnamon and confectioner’s sugar, these are a family tradition that’s eagerly awaited each year.



8. Pralines: Pecans suspended in fudge or the traditional brown-sugar praline mixture, this is one of my favorite candies. I’ve been known to eat as many as I can get my little hands on.



9. Lemon Currant Cookies: Soft lemon pillows are dotted with luscious currants and glazed with a sweet, lemony icing. Sheer brilliance!



10. Gingerbread Cookies: For as long as I remember, my mother’s famous gingerbread cookies have graced the Christmas table. Trees, bells, Santas, reindeer, and people of assorted sizes, my mother decorates each one by hand. Each little person has his or her own personality. It’s almost a shame to eat them—almost.



11. Shortbread Cookies: Tender, wonderful shortbread is decorated with sprinkles and dark chocolate—cut in the shape of Westies like my Bertie. Chocolate shortbread Scotties are a perfect companion with their ribbons of white chocolate. This gives “dog biscuits” a whole new meaning.



12. Peppermint Bark: My mother’s homemade peppermint bark is always a treat. Dark and white chocolate punctuated with crushed candy canes—nothing says Christmas more.



13. Assorted Sweetmeats: Made in festive molds, these candies of dark, milk and white chocolate are filled with nuts and fruit making for a sweet, tender, crunchy, chewy, glorious snack.



14. Assorted Candies: In the shapes of stars, toys and rosettes, these candies of dark, milk and white chocolate have a colorful surprise on the reverse—a lush coating of brilliant sprinkles.

7 comments:

Book Gurl said...

Look how beautiful! So much work. If only I had that much patience and talent. I would love a bite of all of them. Now I'm inspired to step up my game.

Gene said...

Very nice. In my next life, maybe, I'll eat this well. This year, our Christmas cookies are Oreos that my sister-in-law put on a doiley.

Matt said...

Where do I put in my order? I'll have...all of them. Thank you. Seriously, this is exceptional. I've been a good boy so maybe Santa will bring me a plate of these for Christmas.

Carolyn said...

Good grief, Joseph! What took you so long today? You know I can't survive a Monday without seeing the week's yummsy-yummsies and nom-nom-goodies. God, that was Seussian even for me. It was worth the wait! Beautiful tasties! Happy ho ho ho!

Anonymous said...

Wow!

Mark said...

Such beautiful biscuits. You'll have a happy Christmas indeed.

Kathy said...

All looks delicious!