Saturday, December 17, 2011

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 418

You gotta help me!” Mala shrieked as she banged on the door of the safe house.


“Shhh…please…” A kind-faced African man whispered as he opened the door. “We can’t go drawin’ attention to ourselves.”

“Imamu, I’m so happy to see ya.” Mala said, pulling her lips back into something that almost resembled a smile.

“Mala?” Imamu scowled. “You know we don’t want you ‘round here botherin’ the girls.”

“I ain’t here to bother no one.” Mala said. “Can’t you see I got someone here who needs your help?”

Imamu squinted. “What did you do to him?”

“I ain’t done nothin’ to nobody!” Mala groaned. “I done found this man on the street. He was bein’ beat up by three white men who run when they saw me comin’.”

“The white men ran when they saw you?” Imamu raised an eyebrow.

“Men always run when they see me.” Mala nodded.

“Sure they do?” Imamu nodded.

Odo—who was leaning on Mala’s arm, hunched-over, under a stolen blanket, made a few pitiful moaning noises to move things along.

“He’s hurt terrible bad. I knew I couldn’t take him back with me to Miss Iolanthe’s. So, I thought you could take him here.” Mala continued.

“What you care ‘bout this man for?” Imamu frowned. “Ain’t like you to care fo’ no one.”

“I want to change my ways.” Mala said. “Maybe I could even help you out here.”

“You ain’t one of us, Mala.” Imamu squinted.

“I am more so than I am anything else.” Mala sniffed, pretending to be hurt.

“We’ll take the man.” Imamu said. “You can be on your way.”

“Noooooo…” Odo feigned a weak moan.

“He wants me to stay with him.” Mala said quickly.

“Fine—for a few minutes.” Imamu scowled. “But, I’ll be watchin’ you. Let’s get this fella in and get the blanket off of him.”

“No. He’s terrible cold. Don’t take the blanket off jus’ yet.”

“Mala, I gotta look him over to see how bad he’s hurt.” Imamu said impatiently. “We’ll put him by the fire. He won’t be cold.”

Odo moaned again.

“See?” Imamu snorted. “This man needs my help.” He took Odo’s other arm and guided him toward a large open room with a fire around which many people warmed themselves—including Mama Routhe who still held little Colin in her arms.

Mrs. Routhe had not yet noticed that the newcomer was Mala, but she was curious about the noisy intruders.

“Mala, I guess it’s good you wanna help, but you gotta let this man go so I can help him.” Imamu said firmly.

“I can’t.” Mala replied nervously.

“What’s goin’ on here?” Imamu narrowed his eyes.

“I tol’ ya…” Mala began.

With one swift movement, Imamu reached up and yanked the blanket from Odo’s head.

“Ain’t you the Cages’ man--Odo?” Imamu exclaimed. “You ain’t hurt at all.”

Odo shook his head.

“What you want?” Imamu demanded.

For a moment, Odo looked as if he might be repentant. However, that was one of his tricks. He used the pause to lunge for Imamu, knocking him down.

“Mala!” Odo shrieked. “Grab the baby!”



Did you miss Chapters 1-417? If so, you can read them here. Come back on Monday, December 19, 2011, for Chapter 419 of Punch’s Cousin.

No comments: