Friday, December 16, 2011

Mr. Punch in the Arts: Judy's New Bonnet


The Victoria & Albert Museum


Even Judy wanted to show off every once in awhile—that is, as long as Mr. Punch would agree to it. Sometimes, Judy could catch Punch in a good mood. And, when she did, it might look like this…

Here we see another hand-colored glass slide depicting Punch and Judy. This is number two of the set of twelve that we’ve been looking at from the George Speaight Punch & Judy Archive at the Victoria & Albert Museum. The slides, made in the mid-to-late Nineteenth Century, were crafted for magic lantern shows.

The following text accompanies the slide during the magic lantern show:

Punch: How do you do? I’m in a good humour this morning, got out of bed the right side. Judy, Judy! my pretty Judy! where are you?

Judy: Now Mr. Punch I’m very busy, what is it you want?

Punch: Oh don’t trouble if you are busy, I thought you’d like a new bonnet.

Judy: Oh, Punchey dear, I’m not busy, you are a dear old man, and they go off to buy the bonnet.


I once had a chance to purchase one of a similar set of glass slides, but I was distracted and missed the auction online.  I will always kick myself over that.

No comments: