Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Gifts of Grandeur: The Henry Wilson Comb, 1900

Comb
Henry Wilson, 1900
The Victoria & Albert Museum
This comb/hair ornament of silver has been neatly set with garnets along the head of the comb which is decorated with a pierced medallion of a crab--the symbol of the zodialogical sign Cancer.


This is the work of Henry Wilson whose jewelry is distinctive for its rich and unique color combinations and sculptural qualities. Wilson was a notable Arts and Crafts designer, and like many of his contemporaries, originally trained as an architect.

2 comments:

Doni said...

I've always loved garnets...To me the rich deep reds are more appealing than 'pigeons blood' rubies...

Why is it garnets are considered so much cheaper? I know rubies are corundum, and basically 'red' sapphires, but peeps seem to value them so much more than other gems, except the diamond of course. I would say it's Diamond, Emerald, Ruby, Sapphire?

But personally I prefer garnets...Just in cases you'd like to give me a loverly comb sometime...I'm a Scorpio. LOL

Joseph Crisalli said...

Hi Doni,

Garnets in older settings tend to fetch higher prices. Our Victorian forebears valued the garnet greatly. Price really depends on scarcity. A flawless diamond is rarer than what I like to call a leopard diamond (one with many visible inclusions or spots) anfpd therefore fetches a higher price. There are more garnets in the earth than rubies, so they tend to be less expensive when loose. But, with any stone value depends on cut, clarity, color, carat--and setting.

And, I agree with you. I like the color of garnets, too. I also like the pinkishness of rubies. It depends on the occasion.