Monday, October 24, 2011

Treat of the Week: Buttermilk Pie

Long thought to be a traditional dessert of the Southern United States, the origins of Buttermilk Pie (sometimes called Chess Pie) are a matter of some debate--often the case with beloved desserts.

Some insist that this silky, sweet pie has roots in England while others contend that it is purely a Southern delight. Regardless of who thought of it first, this beautiful pie with its firm, crusty top layer and smooth custard-like filling is a true treat.

We had never tasted Buttermilk Pie before this weekend when my mother tried a new recipe and presented us with this delightfully creamy confection adorned with whipped cream rosettes and raspberry coulis.

8 comments:

Carolyn said...

Oh my goodness that looks heavenly. I know it as Chess pie. I will try the berry sauce on it! Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Never heard of this but it looks fantastic!

Matt said...

On the road but wanted to check out the treat. I love pie. This made me happy.

Gene said...

Looks really good.

Joseph Crisalli said...

The coulis is perfection. Thanks Carolyn!

Joseph Crisalli said...

I'm sure you'd like it, Anon.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Pie does tend to make people happy, Matt! Safe travels!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thanks, Gene.