Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Treat of the Week: Stupendous Strawberry Cupcakes

While it’s true that I have a distinct appreciation for most cupcakes, I really have a fondness for strawberry cupcakes. So, I was particularly thrilled to learn that my mother was baking some for Labor Day.

This is a new gem in my mother’s collection of confections. Here we have yellow cake infused with chopped fresh strawberry, giving it a mild strawberry taste and a subtle, attractive pink color.

They are frosted with a Swiss meringue buttercream flavored with strawberry jam which has been expertly piped in an attractive patter atop each moist, delicate cake. Each is then adorned with a strawberry.

Joining these cupcakes was a miniature cake of the same family which we enjoyed first.

There are a variety of strawberry cake recipes available. When you pick the one that best suits you, make sure that if you add fresh strawberries to the buttercream, the icing doesn’t get too runny from the strawberry juice. That’s why my mother uses jam. You get the same bellow strawberry taste for the frosting, but it holds its shape better.






8 comments:

Matt said...

This is one of my favorites too. Too bad I'm off cake for awhile. When I get back to regular eating I will have to indulge in some of these and a lot of other stuff. BTW I like that everything you post each day goes together. If you scroll down the page everything matches.

Carolyn said...

Like scrumptiously perfect yummy flowers!!!!!

Book Gurl said...

I was afraid we'd have no treat this week because of the holiday. These are worth the day's wait.

Joseph Crisalli said...

I hope there's lots of cake in your future, Matt. Why are you denying yourself the essence of life--pastry? I appreciate your kind comments!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thanks, Carolyn.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Oh, Book Gurl, there is always a treat! : )

Doni said...

Why would I read this when I'm pondering a (way past) midnight snack. Omg...my mouth is positively craving one...How many peeps have asked for your mother to adopt them? :)

Joseph Crisalli said...

Hi Doni! I hope you got your (way past) midnight snack. I'll eat one of these today in your honor!