Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Object of the Day: A Souvenir Handkerchief from the Silver Jubilee of King George V

Regular readers of Stalking the Belle Époque already know of my immense fondness for Royal Souvenirs. And, there are many of them around here. You all also know of my tremendous respect for Mary of Teck and King George V. So, of course, I just love this new addition to my collection.

This beautiful and colorful handkerchief commemorates the 1935 Silver Jubilee of King George V and his consort, Queen Mary. It is gorgeously decorated with scenes of the Royal Residences, Westminster Abbey and the Palace of Westminster as well as the corners of the British Empire (at the time). George V and Mary are center stage in handsome oval portraits.

This handkerchief is now preserved in a lovely frame made by my father. And, now, here are a lot of pictures…

 
 
 








No comments: