Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Object of the Day: An Antique Paperweight

On a recent antiquing trip with my parents and Bertie, I came across this paperweight. As you already know I’ve been collecting paperweights since I was a child. I favor those that are signed and marked by the artist, but sometimes I’ll find one without a mark that’s quite exceptional.


Antique stores are filled with paperweights. Most of them are rather pedestrian, but sometimes, if you look hard enough, you’ll see one that really stands out. This paperweight caught my eye. I can tell you nothing about it except what is evident. It has no mark nor signature, but it’s very finely made and was evidently the work of a very skilled artisan.

I’m not sure how old it is or where it’s from, but I love it. And, that goes to show you that not everything has to have a pedigree to be beautiful.

No comments: