Thursday, August 18, 2011

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 321

Charles scowled as Robert embraced Mr. Punch upon his return to the house on Royal Street.

“I was beginning to worry.” Robert said. “I see by Barbara’s absence that your efforts went unrewarded.”

“She chose to stay in that house with Iolanthe.” Mr. Punch nodded. “It’s her funeral. Both Charles and I tried to convince her to come with us.”

Charles grunted.

“Do you have something you wish to say, Charles?” Robert asked.

“No, Sir.” Charles replied curtly.

“Charles is in a foul mood, he is.” Punch said. “He probably thinks I didn’t do ‘nough to get Barbara back.”

“I’m sure that His Grace did all that he could.” Robert said firmly.

“Including striking Iolanthe and Agnes Rittenhouse with an umbrella.” Charles muttered.

Robert raised his eyebrows.

“Well, I ‘spose I did. But, they deserved it.”

“What was Agnes Rittenhouse doing there?” Robert asked, unfazed by the announcement that Punch had been hitting with “sticks” again.

“She’s Barbara’s maid,” Punch shrugged.

“Were the women harmed?” Robert asked.

“No.” Charles answered.

“No matter, then.” Robert nodded. “Charles, I’m sure you tried your best to convince Barbara.”

“She wouldn’t hear me.” Charles replied quickly. “She’s gone utterly mad.”

“Well, there’s nothing we can do about that tonight.” Robert said. “I suggest you retire for the evening.”

“Yes, Sir.” Charles snorted.

“You should know that you’ll be sharing your room.” Robert added.

“With whom?”

“Gerard.” Robert said. “I’ve enlisted his services as my valet.”

“Wonderful.” Charles mumbled.

“Go to bed, Charles,” Mr. Punch sighed, rubbing his temples. “I’ve had enough of you today.”

“As you wish, Your Grace.” Charles growled, retreating toward his room.

“Good Heavens,” Robert exclaimed, leading Punch toward the parlor. “What’s gotten into him?”

“He’s miffed that Barbara wouldn’t come with us.” Punch responded. “’Sides that, I think he’s frustrated with me, he is.”

“Whatever for?”

“For bein’…different.”

“Ah,” Robert smiled. “That’s part of your charm. I’m sure that once he rests, his mood will improve.”

“I hope so.” Punch sighed. “So, how’s things here?”

“We have a problem.” Robert answered gravely.

“The boy?” Punch answered nervously. “Is Colin safe?”

“He’s well. He and Fuller are sleeping well. As are Cecil and Adrienne.”

“Marjani, then?”

“No. She’s well also. However, she did discover that Arthur’s gone missing.”

“Arthur? Ain’t he dead yet?” Punch asked.

“Quite dead.” Robert nodded. “Has been for hours. It appears that someone has absconded with his remains.”

“Who’d want that bastard’s corpse?” Punch asked.

“Marjani believes it was Marie Laveau.” Robert explained.

“Here, what for?”

“That remains to be seen.” Robert replied softly.

At that very moment, Iolanthe Evangeline arrived at the “Place Congo.” Her face glowed in the flickering light of the bonfire. She rushed through the crowd toward Marie Laveau who stood at the center.

Marie spotted Iolanthe and extended her hand toward her onetime enemy. “You came!”

“Of course.” Iolanthe said breathlessly.

“Then, you received my message?”

“Yes,” Iolanthe nodded, glancing at the scene behind Marie—the three corpses which had been arranged behind the Voodoo priestess.

“What is all of this?” Iolanthe asked.

“The start of a new life—as I said.”

“But, these people are dead.” Iolanthe answered quietly, recognizing Nellie’s body.

“Yes, they are. However, they will live on.” Marie smiled.

“How?” Iolanthe asked, beginning to look disappointed.

“Through me!” Marie exclaimed. “Their lives are in me! I am with child, Iolanthe—a child who will conquer the world and exact our revenge!”



Did you miss Chapters 1-320? If so, you can read them here.

2 comments:

Dashwood said...

This is taking a very dark turn. I love it.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thank you, Dashwood. We're going down another odd path.