Friday, August 5, 2011

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 313

Gerard shook his head as he followed Meridian through the long, low passage at the rear of the ornate mansion on Royal Street.

“Somethin’ troublin’ ya?” Meridian asked.

“Nah.” Gerard answered.

“Sorry ‘bout your friend.” Meridian added. “Though he was a cruel one, nobody should die like that.”

“Thank you,” Gerard replied softly. “It’s funny, isn’t it?”

“What’s that?” Meridian asked as they walked.

“I rather hated Arthur when he was alive.”

“Then, why’d you go ‘round with him?”

“Didn’t have no choice, really.” Gerard sighed.

“I understand.” Meridian nodded. “Now that he’s gone, I almost miss him.”

“That’s the way it is,” Meridian shrugged. “When I was young, I had a master who would hit me and my sisters and brothers. He was a right terrible beast, that one. But, see, he sold us. When we went to the new place, I missed the old master, and wondered why. Did I miss his beatings? No. I missed the things that were…what do you call it?...familiar. Ain’t nothin’ wrong with that as long as you realize that sometimes new places and people are better—if you let them be. Nobody here is gonna hurt ya. And, if you’re Dr. Halifax’s man, I can tell ya, he’ll treat you with respect and kindness as long as you don’t do nothin’ to hurt his family.”

“I won’t.” Gerard said quickly.

“See that you don’t.” Meridian smiled. “Cuz you’ll have to answer to me, too.” She stopped outside a door and pointed. “Here’s where you sleep. You gonna share with the house boy. Ain’t no other place to put ya. But, he’s a young one and don’t snore. Nice enough boy. Just don’t ask him ‘bout his ma.”

“Why not?” Gerard asked.

“Cuz I said so.” Meridian nodded firmly.

“Yes, ma’am.” Gerard said, his eyes widening. “Now, go on and get some sleep.”

Meridian watched as Gerry slowly entered the room and listened as he introduced himself to Billy, the young man he was to share his room with.

As Meridian shut the door behind her she frowned. “Them Englishmen and their kindness, I hope it don’t end up bitin’ ‘em.” With that, she walked away.

Meanwhile, inside Iolanthe’s house, Mr. Punch narrowed his eyes at “The Elegant Ogress.”

“I do hate you.” Mr. Punch growled.

“I’m sure you do.” Iolanthe laughed. “Funny, but I don’t hate you. I should, you lunatic. But, I don’t. I almost got respect for ya. And, I don’t want you thinkin’ that I don’t. For as much as you’re a looney, you got some sense to ya and you’re a worthy enemy. I can’t help but feel some warm feelings for someone who done showed me up so many times.” She turned to Charles, ‘You, on the other hand, I don’t like. You’re just too ‘good.’ You irritate me.”

“Where’s Barbara?” Charles asked, ignoring Iolanthe’s taunts.

“Upstairs.” Iolanthe pointed. “She don’t want to see you. Either of you.”

“I don’t care.” Punch grumbled, heading for the staircase.

“I can’t let you see her.” Barbara shook her head.

Punch didn’t stop.

“Your Grace,” Iolanthe said with no small amount of false charm. “I can’t let you do that. She’s in her bath.”

“I’ll wait then.” Punch stopped midway up the stairs.

“You bitch!” Charles shouted. “Barbara’s gone mad and you’re taking advantage of her condition!”

“She came with me freely.” Iolanthe replied, unperturbed by Charles’ outburst.

“I don’t believe that.” Charles argued.

“Steady on,” Punch whispered. “This is not the way to deal with her.”

“I know no other way now!” Charles spat.

“Listen, footman,” Iolanthe snarled. “I won’t you come in here and make demands of me or my partner.”

“Your partner?” Punch asked, leaning on the banister.

“Yes,” Iolanthe grinned. “Barbara is now my business partner. She’s my equal—here, at least.”

“Why?” Punch raised his eyebrows.

“Why don’t you ask her maid?” Iolanthe pointed to the top of the stairs where Agnes Rittenhouse had appeared.

Punch looked up at her with wild eyes. “Nanny,” he whispered.

“Good evening, Your Grace.” Nanny Rittenhouse smirked. “I’m so glad we’re reunited.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-312? If so, you can read them here.

No comments: