Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Treat of the Week: Red, White and Blueberries, A Patriotic Cake

For the Fourth of July, we always take time, as a family, to celebrate together. One tradition is the wonderful “Flag Cake” that my mother bakes each year.

This delicious cake is comprised of two layers of rich pound cake which, this year, was filled with cherry preserves. Then, it is iced and piped with stiff whipped cream and adorned with raspberries and blueberries to create the look of the flag.

Patriotic, yes. Attractive, certainly. Delicious, most assuredly. Who needs fireworks when you’ve got such a wonderful explosion of flavors right in front of you?







7 comments:

Mark said...

That's beautiful. Can your mum make one with the union jack for us?

Book Gurl said...

A really elegant way to celebrate. I will have to try this next year. Thanks for the idea.

Gene said...

God bless America!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Mark, I think a Union Jack version is quite possible. We'll have to have an appropriate holiday for it! However, I don't think we could send one to you. The Royal Mail tends to frown on parcels containing whipped cream. Thanks for coming by!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thanks, Book Gurl!

Joseph Crisalli said...

I think Kate Smith would agree with you, Gene.

Doni said...

My mouth is watering...I don't think I can take it. Please have her market these!!