Saturday, July 30, 2011

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 308

Come with Uncle Punch,” Mr. Punch cooed as he cradled “Colin” in his arms. Together, they climbed the stairs, followed by Meridian who couldn’t help herself from grinning at Punch’s display of paternal affection. “I’m gonna take you to see your cousin.”

As they walked through the upstairs corridor, Punch continued. “Well, I ‘spose he ain’t really your cousin cuz we ain’t really blood kin. But, see, Fuller is the son of me chums, and he thinks of me as an Uncle, just like you do. Only,” Punch chattered on, “I’d like for you to think of me as your papa as you grow up cuz that’s what I’ll be. See, I’m gonna be your papa and Robert’s gonna be your papa and that would make you, truly, more like cousins with Fuller cuz Robert’s really his uncle while I ain’t.”

Punch snorted and looked over his shoulder at Meridian. “You think he understands?”

“Sure he does.” Meridian nodded.

“I ain’t sure I really understand.” Mr. Punch chuckled.

“He knows that ya love him. That’s all he needs to know,” Meridian nodded as she opened the door to the nursery.

Mr. Punch placed “Colin” next to Fuller who slept soundly.

“Won’t Adrienne and Cecil be surprised in the morning when they wake up to find him lyin’ here, too?”

“I’d say they will be.” Meridian nodded.

Toby, who slept next to the nursery fire, looked up and wagged his tail when Punch entered the room.

“Maybe Toby’d like to sleep with the babies?” Punch chirped.

“I’m sure he would,” Meridian chuckled softly. “But, I think he’ll be fine on the floor by the warm fire.”

“Well, then, maybe they’d like to sleep with me puppet what’s nice to have as company.” Punch suggested.

“Your puppet’s most handsome, Mr. Punch, and I’m sure he’s a fine puppet and very comforting, but I think these babies are so tired they won’t even know if your puppet is there or not. Besides, when you do get home tonight, won’t you want to have your puppet in the bed with you?”

“I will.” Punch replied thoughtfully. “You’re so awful kind to think of that, Meridian.”

“Just doin’ my job, Your Grace.” Meridian smiled. “Come now, let’s leave these boys to sleep.”

“I hate to leave him.” Punch frowned.

“I know, but you gotta go with Charles to tend to your sister.” Meridian replied gently.

“You’ll make sure…” Punch began.

“I won’t no one get to him.” Meridian smiled. “Charles was careful when he came here and Mr. Cage don’t even know the boy’s here. I got a man at each of the doors. Ain’t no one gettin’ in this house tonight without my knowin’ it.”

“Thank you.” Punch grinned. “I wish I could take you with us when we leave.”

“I don’t think Dr. Biamenti would like me leavin’, Sir. But, if I could come with you, Your Grace, I would.”

“Maybe we’ll find a way.” Punch nodded.

“Maybe we will.”

They descended the stair together.

“Here, do you think Arthur’s dead yet?” Punch asked as they reached the lower floor.

“I don’t know, Sir.” Meridian shrugged. “In a way, I hope the rogue is sufferin’ some more though it’s awful of me to say it.”

“Nah,” Punch shook his head. “He deserves what he gets.”

Together, they walked into the kitchen.

“Charles, take me to the cathedral, then, and we’ll see ‘bout Barbara.” Punch said slowly.

“I hope it’s not too late,” Charles replied softly.

“It won’t be,” Punch answered.

However, perhaps Charles was correct. When the two men arrived at the cathedral, there was no trace of Barbara, nor even of the corpse of Louis Glapion. All that remained was a pool of blood which had begun to clot upon the altar. Two sets of sanguine footprints led away from him—women’s footprints.

Little did they know that Barbara was far away from the cathedral. Reclining in a tub of hot water, Barbara smiled at Mala—Iolanthe hideous servant as the beastly woman toiled to pour another bucket of steaming liquid into the tub.

“I’ve come back, Mala.” Barbara winked.

“I see that, Miss Allen.”

“This time will be quite different.”

“How is that?” Mala asked.

“This time, I’m in control.” Barbara grinned.



Did you miss Chapters 1-307? If so, you can read them here. Come back on Monday, August 1, for Chapter 309 of Punch’s Cousin.

No comments: