Monday, June 6, 2011

Treat of the Week: A Blueberry Grunt

I had never heard of a blueberry grunt until this weekend. And, I have to say I was quite enchanted by it.


In the cobbler family, a grunt (a cousin of the pandowdy or slump) is a mixture of sweetened blueberries (or, possibly another single fruit) cooked on the stovetop in a castiron pan or pot and topped by dumplings. The grunt never sees the interior of the oven. When the dumplings are fully cooked, cinnamon and sugar are added just before serving.

Several different regions claim the grunt as their creation. Some believe grunts originated in New England. Others are quite certain that they’re a Southern U.S. tradition, and others, still, feel they came from England. Regardless of their origin and how they were so named (perhaps because of the sound the confection makes as it cooks), the grunt is quite delicious and glorious.

A little research will yield a grunt recipe that you’ll like. My mother served it with freshly whipped cream and we gobbled it up quite happily. Everything my mother makes is a true treat, but this one was a wonderful surprise.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My grandmother used to make a "grunt." I haven't had one in years. This one looks really good.

Gene said...

This is new to me, but it looks delicious. I'll have to try one.

Anonymous said...

Cool! Yum!

Book Gurl said...

I make this, but call it a Slump. Mine doesn't look as good as this. Good job!

Joseph Crisalli said...

It's quite a delicious thing regardless of what one calls it. Thanks for your comments, everyone!