Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 275

I can’t accept that,” Charles croaked, looking anxiously down at Adrienne. “Something can always be done.”


“Pray with me,” Mama Routhe shook her head.

“Pray?” Charles scowled. “I’m not a praying man.”

“You Italian, ain’t ya?” Mama Routhe’s eyes widened. “That’s gotta mean you’re Cat’lic.”

“I was raised as such,” Charles said. “But, can you tell me that a God of kindness would allow such barbarous behavior from his Creation? Is that to what you wish me to pray? Those words won’t help this woman, now will they bring that poor child back to us. Words spoken to the air won’t stop the men and woman who did this.”

“But will them thoughts and desires make it worse?” Mama Routhe asked. “You shock me Mr. Charles.”

Charles snorted and shook his head. He gently shook Adrienne’s arm and whispered to her.

“Mrs. Halifax?” Charles murmured.

“Cecil?” Adrienne whispered, her eyes still closed. “Je veux mon mari. Où est mon mari ? Mon amour ? Je ne pouvais pas les arrêter. Mon Dieu. Je suis désolé. Je suis désolé.”

“You did nothing to be sorry about,” Charles said softly.

Adrienne slowly opened her eyes.

“Je m'excuse de Mr. Punch. Je m'excuse de Robert et avant tout je suis triste pour le pauvre bébé.”

“We’ll find him.” Charles said. “Have no fear. Are you hurt?”

Adrienne became aware of her surroundings. “I think I’ve had the breath knocked out of me.” Mama Routhe helped her sit up. “I feel quite giddy. The room is spinning.”

“Come over to the corner and sit with me while I look you over, Missus.” Mama Routhe said.

Charles assisted Mama Routhe in bringing Adrienne to a small, creaking chair.

“Look out for her,” Charles nodded.

“Where you goin’?” Mama asked.

“To get that child back.” Charles said.

“You’ll need prayer more than ever, then!” Mama Routhe called after him.

“All I need are my wits.” Charles mumbled as he hurried down the stairs.

“Poor man,” Mama Routhe muttered to Adrienne. “So much help is all around him, and he won’t take it.”

“It’s difficult to believe in things we can’t see.” Adrienne whispered.

“Just cuz you can’t see it, don’t mean it ain’t there.” Mama shook her head. “Now, you don’t fret none. We’re gonna make you right again.”

“Again?” Adrienne sniffed. “I don’t know if I ever was.”

Meanwhile, Mr. Punch was staring at Barbara Allen who was weeping violently.

“Here, you’re gonna make yourself sick!” Mr. Punch said quickly.

“It’s too late for that.” Barbara coughed.

“What’s got you so ruffled?” Punch asked, looking quickly at Arthur and Gerry. “These men hurt ya?”

“Yes.” Barbara said. “But, not in the way you’re thinking.”

“Tell ‘im.” Arthur growled. “Tell ‘im the truth, Pet! Tell him what I just told ya!”

“It’s about Colin.” Barbara rasped. “He’s not Arthur’s son after all.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-274? If so, you can read them here.

No comments: