Monday, June 13, 2011

Object of the Day: A Melba Ware “Mr. Punch and Toby,” Toby, circa 1950

Last week, when I posted this Mr. Punch and Toby Toby (ceramic jug) from the Victoria & Albert Museum, I admired it a great deal and never imagined that I’d have one of my own. Yet, this past weekend, in celebration of Bertie’s birthday, when Bertie was receiving his presents, there was one that was for both me and him from my parents. Imagine my surprise when I opened it to find this Melba Ware Staffordshire Toby of Mr. Punch and his dog, “Toby” which is a near twin to the one in the V&A.


Made slightly later than the museum’s example, this beautiful Toby is in perfect condition with brilliant colors and fine glaze. The expressions of both figures are perfect. Made by Wain & Sons in Staffordshire, the figure has all the appropriate markings on the underside. I just adore it! Bertie does, too.

My parents has purchased this before I posted the example from the V&A and were as surprised to see it on Stalking the Belle Époque, as I was surprised to see this one when I opened that box yesterday. Now, he will sit on the center table along with a French sculpture and a bust of Queen Victoria. So far, they’re all getting along famously.

No comments: