Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Happy “Gotcha Day,” Bertie!


Nine years ago, a little West Highland White Terrier named “Toby,” came into my Texas home from a rescue shelter in Oklahoma. He was told that his name was now, “Bertie,” and he answered to it immediately. While something of a rascal for those first few weeks, he mellowed a lot, and grew—a lot. Now, he’s my best friend, my little boy and my great joy.


I’m quite blessed to have Bertie in my life, to be able to spend each day with him, and to learn from his simple wisdom. So, happy “Gotcha Day,” Bertie! The reality is, you really got me.

If you are in a position to adopt a pet, I'd recommend that you contact a local shelter or rescue agency.  There are many pets like Bertie who just want a loving home.  In return, you will be given the purest happiness and love. 

3 comments:

Dashwood said...

Happy Gotcha Day to two lucky boys.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thank you, Dashwood!

Doni said...

Happy Bertie! ;) I remember seeing Bertie's pic for the first time. You could see how completely delighted with his human he is, and what a rascal, by the bright eyes.

I did not know Bertie was a rescue. Bless you for that!

I'd been watching Cats 101 until it occurred to me they don't encourage rescues...in fact, just the opposite-even though some of the featured humans did find their pure-breds in shelters.

The idea that people take up breeding from seeing how much they cost on that show (I know someone who actually did that...She was a good human, but the idea repels me) disturbs and worries me.