Thursday, April 21, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 227

You’re Charles’ brother?” Barbara asked.

“Don’t you see the resemblance?” Giovanni smiled, his voice thick with an Italian accent. “Though my brother may have styled himself as an obedient Dutchman, he cannot deny his Italian roots.”

“I didn’t realize that you were here.” Barbara said softly.

“I’ve only just arrived.”

“How did you find Charles?” Barbara wondered.

“Do you think that I don’t know where Carlo is at all moments?” Giovanni grinned. “We’re brothers. We have a special connection. Surely you can understand that, Lady Barbara.”

“Pardon me?” Barbara’s eyes widened.

“My dear, I never forget a beautiful woman. I know you quite well. Your mother was the Duchess of Fallbridge and your brother is now the Duke. I was quite well acquainted with your mother. I know exactly who you are.”

“Who I was,” Barbara shook her head. “I am no longer Lady Barbara.”

“You can call yourself what you like, my dear.” Giovanni laughed. “But, just as your ‘Charles’ will always be Carlo Iantosca, you will always be Lady Barbara no matter what name you give yourself.”

“What do you want?” Barbara frowned.

“I came here to retrieve Carlo.” Giovanni winked. “But, now that I’ve seen you, I have other diversions in mind.”

“Such as?” Barbara scoweled.

Giovanni stepped forward and put his hand on Barbara’s shoulder. “My dear, I’ve been on a ship for quite some time. I need some comfort.”

“You’ll not get it from me.” Barbara stepped backward.

“Yes, I will.” Giovanni grabbed Barbara by the waist.

She struggled, but his grip was too strong.

“Let me go!” Barbara squirmed.

“You’ll as much of a wildcat as your mother.” Giovanni purred.

“Unhand me!” Barbara pushed at the man, but his clutch was too fierce.

“I think not.” Giovanni laughed. “I should like to compare you with your mother.”

Meanwhile, Charles panted as he ran down the hotel stairs to the lobby. “Someone, please!” Charles shouted. “There’s been a murder!”

The hotel manager came out from behind the desk, shouting to a bellman. “Get the authorities, Pierre!”

Just then, Marjani came staggering down the stairs, covered in the artificial blood which Cecil had made in his workshop and carried to the hotel in cleverly-concealed flasks.

“It was Iolanthe Evangeline. I saw her do it!” she lied. “She done killed His Grace, the Duke of Fallbridge, Dr. Halifax and the little baby—oh, the baby!”

“That woman was in my hotel?” The manager gasped.

The bellman returned with an officer.

“This woman claims that Iolanthe Evangeline was the murderer.” The manager declared.

“Is that so?” The officer asked.

“She done took the bodies. Had her goons carry them out.” Marjani moaned. Suddenly, she felt dizzy and stumbled forward, clutching her stomach. This was real. This was not part of their predetermined pantomime.

“Girl,” The manager squawked. “What’s the matter with you?”

Marjani could barely speak. A fire burned in her stomach. “Marie…” Marjani croaked. “Marie…”

At that very moment, Robert, Punch, Adrienne and Cecil crept out of the hotel’s service entrance into the carriage that had been waiting for them.

Mr. Punch carried the child. “We’d best hurry.”

“I should say.” Cecil rasped. He thumped on the top of the carriage. “Driver! Let’s go!”

“As you wish, Sir,” The driver answered.

Little did they know that the driver was not the man from Dr. Biamenti’s house that Cecil had asked to help them. No, that poor man lay unconscious nearby them in the alley where he’d been dragged after being bashed on the head. The man driving that carriage was someone else entirely.

As he whipped the horses, Odo smiled. His yellow eyes crinkled at the corners as he thought about the reward he’d be given by his employer, Mr. Edward Cage. Wouldn’t he be quite the hero for bringing the missing child back to Mr. Cage? Perhaps, he’d even win his freedom. Perhaps…



Did you miss Chapters 1-226? If so, you can read them here. Come back on Monday, April 25, 2011 for Chapter 228 of Punch’s Cousin. We’ll be taking a brief break Friday, Saturday and Sunday for the Easter holiday, but Punch’s Cousin will return with new chapters next week.

1 comment:

Book Gurl said...

Oh.
My.
God.

Awesome.

I can't wait to read the next chapter.