Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 208

Robert lit the wick of a crystal lamp and squinted as the flame grew. He looked around the room and sighed. “It’s not bad.”


“Not bad.” Mr. Punch frowned, sitting on the bed in the drafty hotel room. The baby snuggled into his lap. “But, it ain’t so good neither.”

“It’s one of the better hotels.” Robert shrugged. “Well, one of the better hotels that wouldn’t question why two men with no baggage and a child have checked in.”

“I’m sure they’ve seen far stranger things here than us.” Mr. Punch said, hugging the child. “I miss me dog and me puppet. And, Adrienne and Cecil and Meridian.”

“We’ll all be reunited, soon.” Robert smiled. “This was our only option.”

“Oh, I ain’t complainin’.” Mr. Punch nodded, “I’ll do whatever we need to do to make sure that this boy gets what he needs.”

“I know you will.” Robert answered, pausing when he heard a faint knock at the door.

He hurried to open it, knowing who was on the other side.

Marjani rushed in. “I had such a time gettin’ in here.” Marjani chuckled.

“How’d you manage it?” Robert asked.

“Came in through the kitchen. Tol’ ‘em I was there for to clean up. That the manager jus’ brought me on. When they weren’t lookin’, I crept up here. Thought I’d have to scrub pots for awhile.”

“Coo, you are somethin’.” Mr. Punch whooped. “That’s the way to do it.”

“I done brought some things.” Marjani said, setting her basket on the table. “I got milk, apples, biscuits and some carrots. Thought I could make somethin’ for little Colin to eat.”

“You’re too much,” Robert smiled. “What would we do without you?”

“You don’t never got to find out,” Marjani nodded. “Now, I done went back to the house and tol’ Mrs. Adrienne and Mr. Cecil what we’re about. Mrs. Adrienne’s gonna get out here soon as she can without Mr. Cage seein.”

“Has he still got the house being watched?” Mr. Punch asked.

“Sure he does.” Marjani chuckled. “I spotted at least four men out there. One of ‘em followed me when I went to get the milk, but I lost him.”

“Thank you, Marjani.” Punch sighed. “Thank you very much for all what you done. For havin’ this idea and all.”

“Well, we had to do somethin’ to protect this boy.” Marjani smiled. “Ya’ll done missed the ship. Gotta wait ‘til the next one’s ready to depart, but that ain’t gonna be awhile. You two are gonna have to make a comfortable place for the baby here where he ain’t gonna be spotted. Meanwhile, I’ll bring your things here little-by-little. I’m sure Charles will help ne. We can do it without no one noticin’.”

“Any sign of Charles at home?” Robert asked.

“No, Dr. Halifax, there wasn’t. I reckon he’s still comfortin’ Miss Allen. Seems to me she’s got him in her sway, that one.”

“Oh, I’m sure she does. Our sister has a way with valets.” Mr. Punch grumbled.

“Can’t help but feel a little sorry for the girl.” Marjani sighed. “Even if I don’t want to. She done lost her mama and her daddy. Her husband’s disappeared and she had to give up her baby. What’s she got?”

“She’s got the life what she made for herself.” Mr. Punch answered.

“I know,” Marjani shrugged her shoulders. “But, it’s still sad.”

“It is.” Mr. Punch nodded. “It’s tragic, it is. I hate that it’s what’s become of her. Julian tried, he did, to make her life different. He tried to give her a sense of pride in herself, but she was too much Fallbridge and not ‘nough Molliner.”

“I do hope she can find something of joy in her life,” Robert added sincerely. “She and I have never been what you’d call ‘friends,’ but I don’t wish her ill.”

“Maybe the Holy Mother will look after her.” Marjani smiled. “I’ll ask her to.”

“You’re kind,” Robert grinned.

“No, Sir, just honest.” Marjani shrugged again.

Meanwhile, Barbara and Charles sat on a bench in Jackson Square—out in the open, yet shrouded by the darkness. Charles kept his arm around Barbara as she sobbed into his shoulder.

“I’m sorry, Miss Allen,” Charles said. “But, you must realize it’s for the best.”

“Must I?” Barbara moaned. “Do you know what it’s like to have your child ripped from your arms?”

“I do.” Charles nodded.

Barbara lifted her head and cast her bleary eyes on Charles’ face.

“I was married once.” Charles said. “My wife and child were killed.”

“How?” Barbara sniffed.

“I don’t wish to discuss it presently,” Charles shook his head. “Perhaps another time.”

“I’m sorry,” Barbara said, putting her head back on Charles’ shoulder.

“So am I.” Charles whispered.

A flash of fiery orange and blue in front of them in the dark startled Charles and as his eyes adjusted, he realized that Ulrika Rittenhouse was approaching them.

“Ah, Barbara,” Ulrika hissed. “Arthur’s barely out to sea, and you’ve already found another pair of arms to comfort you.”

“Go away, Ulrika.” Barbara said, without looking up.

“Who’s watching your baby?” Ulrika grinned. “Have you found an au pair already? However can you afford it on your wages? You do receive wages, don’t you? What is your profession these days? Are you still a whore or have you moved on to light housework and occasional kidnapping?”

“Miss Rittenhouse,” Charles said, “Can’t you see that Miss Allen is heartbroken? I’m going to have to ask you to move along, please.”

“I’ll move along,” Ulrika nodded. “But, I can’t guarantee that my associate will be as cooperative.”

From the shadows, Iolanthe Evangeline revealed herself.

“We had an arrangement, Barbara.” Iolanthe hissed. “I don’t take kindly to people breaking promises to me. And, I don’t want you thinkin’ that I do.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-207? If so, you can read them here.

2 comments:

Darcy said...

Now Barbara has both Iolanthe Evangeline and Marie Laveau against her. Maybe Marjani with her prayers will be able to get the Holy Mother to look after her.

Joseph Crisalli said...

True. But, it's going to take more than the Holy Mother to protect, Barbara, I think. Thanks for reading, Darcy!