Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 207

Marjani panted as she caught up with Robert, Mr. Punch and the baby.


“Was that Marie Laveau over there?” Robert asked.

“Yes, Sir.” Marjani coughed.

“Can’t we never have no moment without them folk interferin’?” Mr. Punch grumbled.

“No one’s got peace with the likes of Marie and Iolanthe about.” Marjani sighed, catching her breath.

“What did she want?” Robert asked as they walked briskly.

“The baby.” Marjani said softly.

“Ain’t that grand?” Mr. Punch muttered, glancing at the child in Robert’s arms and then, briefly over his shoulder to the spot in the distance where Barbara still stood, sobbing in Charles’ arms.

“However did you subdue her?” Robert asked.

“Well, Sir.” Marjani said breathlessly. “I hope you don’t mind, but I borrowed some of them chemicals from your case.”

“Did you?” Robert raised his eyebrows.

“See, I learned a thing or two ‘bout how certain things go together and how they don’t. You know, when I’m mixin’ my colors for the dye I use on my textiles? I knew if I mixed some things in a certain way, when they hit the air, they’d make a smoke. I thought it’d scare anyone who thought they’d need for to bother us.”

“Good thinking,” Robert nodded as the baby reached for his face. “It seems to have worked.”

“Well, Sir, it did at that. But, I didn’t count on Marie gettin’ cut by the glass I done used to hold the liquid.”

“Ah,” Robert sighed.

“She’s fit to be tied.” Marjani sighed.

“She would have been for one reason or another anyway.” Robert mumbled. “We’ll cope with it.”

“We got bigger problems, Chums.” Mr. Punch said, pausing.

“I know.” Robert answered. “Let’s stop in here.” He pointed to a small café.

“Sir, I can’t go in there with you,” Marjani whispered.

“You…” Robert’s eyes widened. “Oh.” He shook his head. “I hadn’t thought of that.”

“What about the mews?” Punch asked.

They ducked into an alley between two long, shot-gun buildings.

“Now,” Mr. Punch began. “Edward Cage has got his men’s eyes trained on our house. We had such a time gettin’ out of the house without bein’ followed. Adrienne had to distract them. Only, I don’t think there’s anyway we can get back in without bein’ noticed. ‘Specially carryin’ Colin.”

“We certainly can’t all go in at once.” Robert frowned.

“I got an idea, Mr. Punch.” Marjani grinned. “That is, if you’ll let me do it.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-206? If so, you can read them here.

4 comments:

Darcy said...

All your characters are so beautifully drawn. I marvel at Marjani's courage and the way the group all work together to protect each other.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thank you very much, Darcy! Good to see you!

Dashwood said...

I'd sure like to have a Marjani watching my back. She's a pretty inventive person.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Wouldn't it be nice to have someone like Marjani around all the time? Thanks for reading!