Thursday, March 17, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 197

“Bleedin’ sow!” Mr. Punch shouted, bursting out of Julian with his usual eagerness and passion.


Charles flinched, looking nervously at Robert who smiled at the young man’s confusion, unaccustomed as he was to Julian’s often abrupt shift in personalities.

“Charles, I believe you know our Mr. Punch.” Robert grinned.

“Yes, Sir.” Charles nodded.

“That witch!” Punch ranted. “That monster! In league with ‘The Professor!’ You two don’t know what that man done!”

“I know some of it.” Robert said. “He is the very same man who perished in the fire in the stable in Marionneaux.”

“He sure is!” Punch yelped. “The man from the ship what was a chum of Arthur’s! That weren’t all he was. Didn’t want to put it all together, but…” Punch moaned, putting his hand on Julian’s chest and leaning back.

“Let’s not overextend ourselves, dear Punch,” Robert said softly. “Julian was doing rather well at keeping calm, let’s try to keep that up. Shall we?”

“Don’t want to be calm,” Mr. Punch muttered.

“We must.” Robert replied softly.

“Shall I leave?” Charles asked cautiously, still looking confused.

“No.” Robert shook his head. “You’ll need to become acquainted with the way in which we function.”

“Yes, Dr. Halifax.”

“You!” Punch bellowed. “Boy! You’re tellin’ us your brother and this “Professor” worked for me master’s dead mum to kill our pa?”

Charles fluttered his eyes and blushed, looking again to Robert.

“I believe Mr. Punch asked you a question.” Robert winked.

“Yes…I mean, I know.” Charles stuttered.

Mr. Punch sat up quickly. “’Yes,’ that’s what you’re sayin’ or, ‘yes,’ you know I’m askin’ a question?”

“I…” Charles took a deep breath. “Yes, I know you’re asking me a question. And, yes, I do believe that Giovanni worked for the Duchess of Fallbridge to have Sir Colin Molliner murdered.”

“Coo.” Mr. Punch grunted.

“Have you any proof of that?” Robert asked.

“Not exactly, no.” Charles answered.

Mr. Punch frowned. “Then, why are you sayin’ it?”

“Well, Your Grace…errrr…Sir…Mr. Punch….”

A knock on the door interrupted Charles’ stammering.

Marjani opened the door just wide enough to stick her head in. “Pardon me for interruptin’, gents, but Mr. Halifax done asked me to fetch Dr. Halifax and Charles.”

“What ‘bout me?” Mr. Punch grumbled. “Why ain’t I bein’ fetched?”

“Because, Mr. Punch, you’re supposed to be restin’. Remember, you done been shot?”

“Tired of restin’.” Punch growled.

“Did my brother say why he wants us?” Robert asked.

“We done got somethin’ of a situation, as Mr. Halifax would say.” Marjani answered.

“What kind of situation?” Robert asked.

“Maybe you’d jus’ better come on downstairs, Sir.” Marjani said quickly. “Charles, too.”

“But, not ol’ Mr. Punch.” Punch mumbled. “Nobody wants Mr. Punch. No, he gotta stay in bed like he were some kind o’ child what can’t stay up late.”

“Now, let’s be reasonable, Punch.” Robert said. “Cecil, I’m sure, is just looking out for your best interest.”

“Sure, cuz I’m some kind of china-headed doll.” Mr. Punch barked.

“Oh, I say, you are in a mood.” Robert smiled, patting Julian’s shoulder.

Punch chuckled. “Maybe.”

“I don’t suppose I should treat you like a child.” Robert sighed. “Charles, get His Grace’s dressing gown so that Mr. Punch can come downstairs.” He pointed to the wardrobe.

Charles rose quickly and went to the wardrobe. Opening it, he paused.

“It’s right there.” Robert nodded.

“I know, Sir. Only…”

“What is it, Charles?” Robert asked.

“Only does Mr. Punch…well, I mean do they wear the same clothes, Mr. Punch and His Grace? Or do they have their own wardrobes?”

“Oh,” Robert chuckled. “I see. No, we’ve not gotten around to getting Mr. Punch his own wardrobe. They share.”

Charles nodded.

Marjani entered the room and walked to the wardrobe. She whispered to Charles. “It’s gonna be fine, honey. Don’t you be nervous. They’re different fellas, but they’re both gentle and sweet.”

Charles smiled at Marjani.

“Now,” she whispered. “I happen to know that Mr. Punch prefers the red one to the blue one.”

“Thank you,” Charles said softly.

“Any time, Chil’.” Marjani winked.

Robert helped Mr. Punch out of the bed and Charles assisted him into the red dressing gown.

“Mr. Punch, I’m only going to say this once,” Robert smiled sweetly. “If you overexert yourself, it’s back to bed with you. For your own good.”

“I know, I know.” Mr. Punch grumbled.

“Charles,” Robert said, “Will you, please, support Mr. Punch’s other arm while I take this one?”

“Certainly.” Charles nodded.

“I ain’t no invalid!” Mr. Punch spat. “I can go on me own!”

“Very well.” Robert nodded.

Charles bit his cheeks so he wouldn’t laugh.

“Marjani,” Robert began, “Can you tell me what this is all about? What’s this situation?”

“I ‘spose I should tell ya a bit before ya go on down.” Marjani sighed. “It’s Barbara Allen, Sir.”

“What ‘bout her?” Punch frowned. “Did she rob us again?”

“No.” Marjani laughed. “She did take somethin’ though.”

“What?” Robert winced.

“Her son.” Marjani whispered.

“Dear God.” Robert shook his head.

“She didn’t.” Charles muttered.

“Me nephew!” Mr. Punch’s eyes brightened. He rushed toward the door.

“Punch!” Robert shouted after his friend.

“Let him go, Mr. Halifax.” Marjani said. “He’s excited.”

“I know,” Robert exhaled. “but, we’re all going to need our total strength to get through this.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-196? If so, you can read them here.

4 comments:

Dashwood said...

What a clear picture and wonderfully vibrant scene this is! Makes you want to stand up and cheer for Punch and applaud the new Julian.

Bravo.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thank you, Dashwood. You've got to wonder what Charles was thinking when Punch reappeared. He's got a lot to get used to.

Darcy said...

Excellent chapter,it was great to see Mr. Punch's anger turn to excitement at the prospect of meeting his nephew.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Mr. Punch is nothing if not adaptable. Thanks for reading, Darcy!