Thursday, March 10, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 191

Barbara Allen looked nervously as Robert who shook his head. “Don’t look to me, Miss Allen. It’s not my decision to make. Were it up to me, I’d not have let you in the house.


Barbara sniffed and looked at Julian.

“I can appreciate that you’re concerned about Arthur.” Julian nodded.

“I am.” Barbara said.

“However, I’m sure you can appreciate the fact that there’s nothing that could get me to lift a finger to assist Arthur in any way.”

“Julian,” Barbara began.

“I’m not going out of my way to offer aid to the man who shot, poisoned and tortured me.” Julian smiled.

“He’s the father of your nephew.”

“I don’t know my nephew. Your son is living in someone else’s house, with someone else’s name. Adrienne’s son is more of a nephew to me than your child, Barbara.”

Barbara stared silently at her brother.

“Now, you’re my sister, and I have come here, after all, to rescue you. I’m still willing to do that. Go to wherever it is that you live, pack your things and return here. We’ll go back to England and forget about all of this.”

“We’ve discussed this before,” Barbara snorted. “You know that I cannot.”

“With Mother and Father both gone, it falls upon us to maintain the family honor.” Julian argued.

“I’m afraid I don’t feel very honorable knowing that my husband is chained in the hold of a ship, awaiting a life of slavery—and neither I nor my brother are able to do a damn thing about it! How is that family honor, Julian?”

“It’s no less dishonorable than running away from home, having a child out of wedlock, selling said child, and then attempting to destroy your own living family members. You had no problem with doing any of that. “

Barbara flinched.

“I am offering you a rare opportunity to forget the past, Barbara. How many of us have a chance to start over?”

“How daft are you?” Barbara asked. “Do you really think that we can erase the past? Are you truly that mad now?”

“It’s up to us to decide how we proceed. None of us is predetermined to be forever mired in our mistakes. It is possible to rise above them, when given aid.”

“You’re willing to forgive me, and help me? But, not Arthur?”

“Arthur is not my blood!” Julian answered. “You are!”

“I wish that I were not,” Barbara answered angrily. “I told Charles that you would be difficult!”

“Charles?” Robert interrupted. “Charles brought you here?”

“It was his idea to ask Julian for help, yes.” Barbara answered.

Robert looked at Julian who shrugged.

“We knew that Charles and my sister had an affiliation.” Julian said to Robert.

“Still, it’s not the place of a valet to suggest what his betters should do,” Robert shook his head.

“His betters?” Barbara spat. “He’s far my superior! What am I? A former whore turned hair dresser who lives in the home of a notorious Voodoo priestess. I’m a fallen woman who sold her own child and contributed to the downfall of her own mother. I don’t care what name I was given at birth. Now I’m Barbara Allen, and I’m no better than dirt! I don’t know why I even bothered to try to rise above it.” Barbara turned on her heel.

“Where are you going?” Robert asked.

“Back where I belong!” Barbara said. “I’m sorry I interrupted your life, Julian—or whatever it is that you’re called these days. I should know that only dirt can blanket other dirt. I may be mistaken in my desire to help Arthur, but how is that any different than anything I’ve done in the last year. I’ve made a career of being mistaken. So, why not continue? And, in honor of that litany of error, I see that the only way to get forward is to stumble backward.”

“Barbara,” Julian said angrily, putting his hand on his chest where his gunshot wound still stung him. “Don’t react this way. You’ve not changed in all these years. You still react with the same impetuosity as when you were a tiny girl.”

“Do I?” Barbara grumbled as she walked out of the room.

She paused in the doorway and spun around, “Well, then, Julian, comfort yourself with your memories of me as a child. For, those are all the joy you’ll ever have from me.” She looked at Robert. “Good day, Doctor. And, good luck with your ward. I trust you two will find much happiness in each other.”

With that, Barbara stormed down the hallway.

“Robert,” Julian said quickly. “Perhaps she’s right. Do fetch her back.”

“No.” Robert shook his head.

Julian sighed.

“You should be proud,” Robert said after awhile. “You were strong and resolute and handled that quite well.”

“Thank you,” Julian said. “I only wish she’d be more rational. However, I can’t imagine why I’d expect it of her. She never was and never will be.”

“You’re too kind-hearted.”

“Barbara wouldn’t agree with that.” Julian grumbled.

“You need to rest now,” Robert sat on the edge of the bed.

“I will in a moment.” Julian said. “However, there’s something I need to do first.”

“What’s that?” Robert frowned.

“I’d like to speak with this Charles.” Julian winked. “Mr. Punch told me about him. I recalled something about him that I think he’ll find interesting.”

“Oh?” Robert asked.

“Punch isn’t the only keeper of secrets,” Julian smiled.



Did you miss Chapters 1-190? If so, you can read them here.

4 comments:

Book Gurl said...

You're so good with dialogue.

Dashwood said...

I agree with Book Gurl. The dialogue is absorbing and doesn't deviate from the style and cadence of the period. Now, just who the heck is Charles really?

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thank you, Book Gurl.

Joseph Crisalli said...

I appreciate that, Dashwood. We'll be learning more about Charles quite soon. : )