Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 184

Where are you taking me?” Ulrika panted.

“I told you to be quiet.” Iolanthe spat. “Look around you, Girl. What don’t you understand about the shipyard?”

“You can’t do this to me.” Ulrika moaned.

Iolanthe dug her fingernails into Ulrika’s arm and yanked on it so fiercely that Ulrika shrieked. “What’s the matter, Girl? Don’t you want to be reunited with your man?”

Before Ulrika could answer, she heard a man’s voice behind her say “Is there some trouble here, Miss?”

Ulrika turned around to see a tall, handsome man with dark hair and shocking blue eyes. She didn’t know him, but she liked the look of him immediately.

“Move along, Boy.” Iolanthe hissed.

“I will.” Charles smiled, “as soon as I am assured that there’s no trouble here. Miss Rittenhouse, are you well?”

“How do you know my name?” Ulrika said.

“I told him,” Barbara grinned, stepping out from behind Charles.

“Ah, Barbara Allen.” Iolanthe narrowed her eyes. “The traitor.”

“What are you doing, Iolanthe?” Barbara asked.

“She’s taking me…” Ulrika started.

“Quiet!” Iolanthe shouted, releasing her grip on Ulrika’s arm. “My friend and I were just taking a walk.”

“Is this true?” Charles asked.

Ulrika rubbed her arm and glanced at Iolanthe who glowered at her.

“Tell them, Miss Rittenhouse,” Iolanthe cooed. “Tell them your tale.”

“I…” Ulrika grunted. “I was just going for a walk with Miss Evangeline.”

“It seemed to me that she was dragging you,” Charles shook his head.

“It’s a game we play.” Iolanthe smiled. “You know all about games, don’t you, Barbara? Seems you’re playing a game yourself. Games with boys. Naughty girl. This man isn’t your husband.”

“No, he isn’t.” Barbara nodded.

“When was the last time you heard from your husband?” Iolanthe asked.

“That doesn’t concern you, Iolanthe,” Barbara answered stiffly.

“Isn’t it?” Iolanthe laughed. “Well, then. Whose concern is it? Ulrika’s? She has an interest in your husband. Perhaps she can tell you where he is.”

Barbara looked at Ulrika.

“I don’t know.” Ulrika stammered. “I don’t know where he is.”

“How strange,” Iolanthe grimaced. “Barbara’s lost track of her husband, and Ulrika has lost track of her lover. Yet, I know where he is.”

“What are you talking about?” Barbara asked.

“Oh, but it’s ‘none of my concern.’” Iolanthe laughed.

“Charles,” Barbara said softly, “Will you accompany Miss Rittenhouse back to the Cage’s home on Royal Street? It’s on your way back to Miss Heralda’s.”

“I’d be happy to.” Charles nodded. “However, I’d be happier if you came along, too.”

“Thank you, but I shall stay here to speak with Miss Evangeline for awhile.”

“Miss Allen,” Charles began.

“Don’t worry.” Barbara smiled. “I can handle myself quite well with her.”

“It’s not you that worries me.” Charles looked at Iolanthe,

“Aren’t you gallant? Sir, as you can see, I’m quite harmless.” Iolanthe chuckled. “Now, go on Ulrika. I’ll visit you presently. All you have to do is wait. Just wait…”

Ulrika swallowed hard.

“This way, Miss Rittenhouse,” Charles smiled. Ulrika followed him.

Alone on the pier with Iolanthe, Barbara squinted at the Ogress and frowned. “You’ve bothered me long enough, Iolanthe. Now, it’s time that we settle this once and for all.”

Meanwhile, at Dr. Biamenti’s house on Royal Street, Mr. Punch shivered as he entered the private room hidden deep within Julian—that space that only the two of them could see.

Julian was—as he usually was—sitting in a silk and gilt wood chair in the center of the room. He was dressed in a fine suit of clothes and looked rested and strong.

“Welcome back, dear Punch,” Julian smiled.

“Thanks,” Mr. Punch nodded. He pointed upward, “Robert’s up there. Watchin’ over us.”

“I know.” Julian grinned. “He’s quite loyal.”

“Wonder what our body looks like.” Mr. Punch sniffed.

“I’m sure it would simply appear that I’m—we’re—sleeping.” Julian answered gently.

“But, we ain’t sleepin’.” Mr. Punch sighed.

“No.”

“We’re havin’ an adventure. Only it’s an adventure that only we can see.”

“Because it only concerns us.” Julian answered.

“Do you have it?” Punch asked.

Julian raised his hand and opened his fingers, revealing the key which Naasir had left behind.

“’Course you do.” Punch shook his head.

“Shall we begin?” Julian asked, rising.

“Why don’t we just rest awhile?” Mr. Punch said quickly.

“There’ll be plenty of time to rest,” Julian smiled, walking to the front wall of the phantom room. He removed an oil painting from the wall and revealed an escutcheon and keyhole.

“A key in the wall?” Mr. Punch asked.

“It fits wherever I wanted it to fit.” Julian sighed.

He inserted the key into the lock and turned it. With a loud groaning creak, the wall rose and disappeared like a stage curtain, revealing a proscenium draped in red velvet. Two comfortable chair appeared in front of the raised stage.

“Join me.” Julian said, pointing to one of the chairs.

“Why?” Punch asked weakly. “What are we doin’?”

“We’re watching.” Julian smiled.



Did you miss Chapters 1-183? If so, you can read them here.

No comments: