Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 165

In their private room deep within Julian’s body, Mr. Punch lay on the plush carpet of the floor that only the two of them could see.


“Chin up, Mr. Punch.” Julian said softly.

“Don’t see how you can be so calm,” Mr. Punch moaned.

“Have we just met?” Julian joked. “Am I not always visibly calm?”

“Visibly, maybe.” Mr. Punch muttered.

“But, you know otherwise…”

“Course I do.” Mr. Punch grunted. “Nobody knows what goes on with you better than I do.”

“So, you won’t be fooled if I seem distant and unaffected by our situation?”

“’Spose not.” Mr. Punch sighed. “Only I don’t see why you’d need to pretend inside your own body.”

“Perhaps I’m trying to not upset you further than you already are.” Julian replied.

“Well, that’s awful kind of ya.” Mr. Punch said, sitting up. “You always have been kind. Haven’t you?”

“I’ve tried.” Julian nodded.

“Even when folk’ve been awful to ya. You were kind to the Duchess and the Barbara and even to the wretched nanny. You always been nice to the servants and to the people what tried to get ya to sell ‘em jewels for much less than what they’re worth. You’re gentle with folk what treated ya like ya was the dirt on their boots.”

“So, it makes sense that I’d be even more so gentle with my other half, yes?”

“Yes.” Mr. Punch nodded. “Master…”

“Please, Mr. Punch,” Julian interrupted him. “I think it’s time you stop calling me ‘master.’ If anything, we’re equal. In fact, I’d say that of the two of us, you’ve become the ‘master’ now.”

“Oh, no.” Mr. Punch shook his head. “I know me place, I do. This body is yours, it is. I can’t forget that it were you what give me life. If I don’t call ya ‘master’ what is it I should call ya? Gotta show ya some respect I do. Want for me to call ya, ‘Your Lordship’?” Mr. Punch paused. “No, that won’t do. You ain’t a Lord no more, but a Duke. Maybe I should call ya ‘Your Grace” like the others.”

“How about calling me by my name?” Julian smiled.

“No.” Mr. Punch objected. “I couldn’t.”

“Punch,” Julian smiled. “We share a body. It’s quite acceptable to call me by my given name.”

“Very well,” Punch grunted.

“Now,” Julian nodded. “I interrupted you…”

“Right.” Punch nodded. “I was gonna ask ya somethin’. Are ya scared?”

“Scared?” Julian smiled. “I’m always scared.”

“Well, I know that.” Punch sighed. “But, I mean, are ya scared of what’s happenin’ right now?”

Julian thought about it for a moment. “I suppose I should be. But, I’m not. Usually the unknown frightens me. We’re certainly facing the unknown right now, aren’t we? However, dor some reason, I’m not afraid. Perhaps it’s because we’re here together. Perhaps it’s because I know that Robert and Marjani are out there fighting to protect us. Maybe it’s a combination of the two things. I don’t know. But, no, I’m not afraid.”

“Why can’t I hear them?” Mr. Punch stood up and began pacing again as the room grew redder and hotter around them.

“I suspect they’ve left us alone.” Julian answered thoughtfully.

“Why’d they do that?” Mr. Punch asked.

“I couldn’t tell you.” Julian chuckled. “Most likely to give us a rest. Or, perhaps, to fetch something that we need.”

Punch strained to listen. “I think I hear something again.”

Julian nodded. “You do.” He smiled at Mr. Punch. “You see, they’ve come back.”

“I hear the baby crying.” Punch said. “Poor little fella. He don’t know why his Uncle Punch can’t play with him. Coo! I hope they’re not gonna let him get too close. If I—we—got a fever I don’t want him catchin’ it.”

“I don’t suspect it’s the kind of fever that he could catch.” Julian shook his head.

“Wonder if they’re feedin’ the dog.” Punch continued, beginning one of his chattering rants. “So much what needs lookin’ after and us here not able to move…”

“I’m sure that they’re taking care of everything that needs attention.” Julian replied gently. “Do settle down, if you can.”

Punch grunted, and flung himself into the chair across from Julian, wiping the sweat from his imaginary brow.

“Here, what do I look like?” Mr. Punch asked.

“What do you mean?” Julian smiled.

“I just wiped me face and what I felt didn’t feel like no puppet head. What do I look like? If I’m in here with you, and I can see that you look like you, what do I look like?”

“You look like me—like us.” Julian said. “The man I see in here with me looks like Julian, the Duke of Fallbridge.”

“Here,” Mr. Punch said, feeling his face. “You mean, I don’t look like a puppet no more?”

“No.” Julian shook his head. “You look like the man that you are.”

“Coo.” Mr. Punch repeated. He paused. “What’re they doin’ out there?”

“Let’s just be quiet and listen for a moment.” Julian said softly. “Besides, we need to conserve our energy. The more we move around in here, the hotter it becomes.”

“Right,” Punch nodded.

Together, they listened.

Outside of their body, Marjani and Robert had gathered Cecil and Adrienne. Adrienne held the baby who whimpered restlessly in her arms. She looked with worry at Julian’s sweating body.

“I say,” Cecil grumbled. “Just how is Marjani intending to get Naasir up here? The man can barely sit, let alone walk. Is it absolutely necessary to disturb him?”

“She says it is,” Robert shrugged. “I don’t know what she’s doing. But, I trust her.”

“So, do I.” Adrienne nodded.

“I’m glad for ta hear it.” Marjani smiled as she came into the room, carrying Naasir in her arms. Again, Marjani carried the man as if he was simply not a burden at all.

“Good Heavens!” Cecil barked. “Let me help you, woman!”

“I got him.” Marjani said sweetly. “You could move a chair over by the bed, if you would.”

“Certainly.” Cecil did as instructed.

Marjani gently placed Naasir in the chair. He looked up—clearly in pain—and studied Julian.

“Oh, Great Man of the Rocks, I hate to see you in pain.” Naasir croaked.

“We hate to see you in pain, too, Naasir.” Adrienne whispered.

“My pain will pass.” Naasir answered softly. “I’m afraid that the Great Man’s pain has only just begun.”

“Are you strong enough to begin?” Marjani asked.

“I am.” Naasir said softly.

“Mrs. Halifax,” Marjani said, “Will you place young Master Fuller next to His Grace?”

“I will.” Adrienne said, putting the baby on the bed next to Julian’s boiling body.

Naasir painfully reached forward and put his charred hands on Julian’s chest.

“Let’s begin.” He said.



To you miss Chapters 1-164? If so, you can read them here.

4 comments:

Darcy said...

Another strong chapter, all of them working together can surely beat the devil.

Dashwood said...

Only the best and most faithful of friends would put a baby near a highly fevered man like this - especially with Yellow Fever raging through the town. This is a very engaging scene.

Also it is really such an artful way in which you have made a man come to equal terms with himself. Very nice.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thank you, Darcy. Mr. Punch has been known to beat the Devil on his own, so, surely, with all of that support, he will be equally successful. It may take some time. Humans are always harder to defeat than puppets.

Joseph Crisalli said...

I appreciate that, Dashwood. It's interesting for me to explore the internal relationship between these two halves. I've enjoyed writing it.