Saturday, February 5, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 163

Robert drew in a deep breath and ran his fingers through Julian’s damp hair. “There’s no blood.”


Marjani nodded. “Thank the Lord.”

“His lips and gums look healthy.” Robert continued.

“That’d be the first sign of Yellow Jack,” Marjani sighed.

“Still, it’s a terrible fever.” Robert frowned. “And, it has weakened his body. In this condition, the potential for Yellow Fever is there.”

“We got to protect him.” Marjani shook her head.

“Keeping him sheltered is the only way to do that.” Robert said.

“Well…” Marjani began.

“Yes, Marjani?” Robert raised an eyebrow.

“There may be another way.”

“What do you mean?” Robert asked.

“I don’t know if you’d approve.” Marjani said softly.

“I’m not sure I understand.” Robert said, looking into Marjani’s eyes.

“Doctor,” Marjani began, “Sometimes, we gotta look to things we don’t rightly understand in order to battle them things we don’t see.”

“Are you talking about prayer?” Robert asked. “Marjani, I’m not exactly what you’d call a religious person. I saw first-hand the results of ‘Christian charity’ with my mother. I think perhaps it did her more harm than good.”

“It depends on what folk got in their hearts when they do the work of God.” Marjani said.

“You’re quite religious, aren’t you?” Robert asked.

“In my way,” Marjani nodded.

“There’s something I’ve been wanting to ask you,” Robert said gently, “but I’ve not been sure how to phrase it.”

“Go on,” Marjani smiled.

“Clearly, you’re Catholic?”

“In a way.” Marjani nodded.

“And, yet, there’s a spirituality about you which is decidedly not Catholic. You seem to be well-versed in the ways of…other beliefs.”

“You mean Voodoo?” Marjani grinned.

“Well, yes.” Robert nodded. “How do you justify the two things? They’re certainly not compatible schools of thought.”

“You wouldn’t think so.” Marjani answered seriously. “But, sometimes, things ain’t necessarily what they seem.”

“Explain it to me,” Robert said, sitting on the bed next to Julian.

“Who’s to say that things gotta be a certain way?” Marjani asked. “Deep, wonderful things exist that have no explanation. Look at His Grace. He’s not what’s supposed to be, is he? But he’s still strong and beautiful. Even though most folk don’t understand him, that don’t make him less real, less wonderful. Think of all the things that folk feel. Think of love. Do we understand it? Can we explain what makes us feel the things we feel? No. But, that don’t make them less real, less powerful. Sometimes what we feel, what we believe may not make the most sense—to others, even to us. But, we feel them all the same, and all the same, they’re as strong as anything we can touch. Even when those things don’t seem to mesh together like the fibers of fabric, they still make a sturdy whole.”

“I think I’m following you,” Robert smiled weakly.

“So, sometimes, Doctor, you just gotta believe. And, by believin’, you can make something real even when it don’t seem like it could be.”

“Marjani, what are you suggesting?” Robert asked plainly.

“Since my daughter died, I done learned somethin’ which coulda saved her. If I’d known, if I’d believed, I maybe could have her here with me—here to raise her daughter, here to be the gorgeous creature she shoulda been.”

“And, you think that this…this thing…could help Julian?”

“I believe it to be so, yes.”

“What is it?” Robert asked.

“I can’t tell ya, Doctor.” Marjani shook her head. “I gotta show ya. If you’ll let me.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-162? If so, you can read them here. Come back on Monday, February 7, 2011 for Chapter 164 of Punch’s Cousin.

2 comments:

Dashwood said...

Happy news that it isn't Yellow Jack. Serious nonetheless. And, of course, you're leaving what Marjani has to show until Monday. I, for one, will "tune in" early to find out.

Joseph Crisalli said...

It will be an interesting week. Have a good weekend, Dashwood.