Saturday, January 15, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 145

A tattoo of shrill laughter cut through the horrified silence in the ballroom. Each head turned away from the shocking sight of Nellie’s bloodied face and gown to see from whom the maniacal chuckling had emanated. Dozens of eyes settled upon the cheerful figure of St. Joan who had tossed her head back to laugh at the plight of the young woman who shrieked from the entrance.


“I want Ulrika Rittenhouse!” Nellie screamed as the ballroom became awash in the murmurs of the revelers.

“Got ya, did she?” Iolanthe laughed as she approached Nellie who pressed herself firmly against one of the marbleized plaster columns which lined the entrance to the grand ballroom.

“Stay away!” Nellie shrieked.

Iolanthe slowly clapped her hands, “Come on, everyone. This is a good show.”

Others in the crowd began to clap as well.

“Edward Cage always puts on a good show, doesn’t he?” Iolanthe continued.

“Yes, yes,” Edward Cage hurried forward. “That’s all this is.” He said quickly. “Just a reminder that here, at my magnificent museum, you’ll see all manner of exhibits that will shock and amuse you!”

The crowd erupted into hesitant applause.

As Iolanthe reached Nellie she hissed, “Don’t be a fool. Come with me.”

“Never.” Nellie spat.

“Where else can you go?” Iolanthe grinned.

“I want Ulrika.” Nellie whispered.

“She’s here.” Iolanthe said, offering her hand to Nellie. “I’ll take you to her.”

Nellie reluctantly took Iolanthe’s hand.

“Welcome home, Nell.” Iolanthe grinned.

Carling and Fane Rittenhouse rushed toward Edward Cage.

“Edward,” Fane began, “I can appreciate your showmanship. God knows we’re all used to your theatricality, but why bring my daughter’s good name into it?”

“How dare you?” Carling harrumphed.

“I don’t know what’s going on here.” Edward whispered sharply. “This wasn’t my design. I was simply trying to stop panic before it started. If you want answers, you’d best consult with your precious daughter.” With that, he turned away sharply in search of his security guards.

“Perhaps I should go to her,” Robert muttered to Mr. Punch from their end of the ballroom.

Mr. Punch shrugged nervously.

“She’s clearly been injured.” Robert sighed. “Though, frankly, it’s no worse than she’s done to Gamilla. Still, I can’t let her go with Iolanthe.”

“I’m not the person what can help ya make decisions, Chum.” Mr. Punch said weakly. “I don’t know what’s right anymore.”

Robert watched helplessly as Iolanthe guided Nellie out of the ballroom. There, in the wide corridor, they encountered Ulrika Rittenhouse who was just leaving another clandestine meeting with Arthur.

“What are you doing here?” Ulrika gasped. “I gave you orders.”

“You’ve ruined me!” Nellie sobbed.

Iolanthe chuckled. “Quit your cryin’. Your face will heal.” She turned to Ulrika. “If I didn’t hate you so much, I’d say that you did a fine job with this one.”

“Your praise is touching.” Ulrika smirked. “I don’t see why you hate me. There’s no reason you and I should be bad friends. We want the same things. Don’t we? Perhaps we could form some sort of partnership.”

“I don’t form partnerships.” Iolanthe laughed.

“You’re both insane!” Nellie spat, blood still dripping from her cheek.

“There, there, Nell,” Iolanthe smiled. “No one cares what you think. You—“ She looked at Ulrika. “Two of my men are on the street. Signal to them and they’ll take this woman out of here.”

“I don’t take orders from you.” Ulrika frowned.

“Would you rather I let Nellie loose in the ballroom to tell all those fine people what you’ve done to her?”

Ulrika grunted.

“Go on,” Iolanthe ordered.

Ulrika did as instructed.

“I’m not going back to your house.” Nellie whimpered.

“I don’t see as how you have much choice.” Iolanthe grinned. “It’s either that, or you wander the streets bleedin’ until you die.”

Iolanthe’s men entered the corridor and took Nellie by the arms.

“We’ll discuss your punishment later.” Iolanthe winked as Nellie was dragged away in tears. “And, what about you?” Iolanthe turned toward Ulrika who had returned. “What about your punishment?”

“I’ll be punished on the day that you are,” Ulrika said plainly.

“That’s gonna be a long, long time from now.” Iolanthe laughed as Ulrika walked back into the ballroom.

“I do love parties.” Iolanthe muttered to herself as she followed Ulrika in.

Meanwhile, Mr. Punch and Robert continued to nervously await Cecil’s and Adrienne’s entrance.

They whispered to one another in their anxiety and were startled when Iolanthe interrupted them.

“What the matter?” Iolanthe smiled. “Aren’t you two enjoying the masquerade?”

“Miss Evangeline, this is a private conversation.” Robert answered.

“Your Grace,” Iolanthe began, ignoring Robert, “Is something bothering you? Are you feeling overwhelmed?”

“I ain’t overwhelmed,” Mr. Punch said angrily. “I want you to go away.”

“Well, that’s not very sociable, Your Grace. I know that’s not how your mother raised you.” Iolanthe taunted him.

At that very moment, Adrienne entered the ballroom, followed closely behind by Cecil. In a matter of seconds, all eyes had turned to her.

“It’s Iolanthe Evangeline.” Two men whispered to one another.

“The Elegant Ogress,” Another gentleman said quickly.

Iolanthe swiveled around to look. She growled audibly upon seeing Adrienne whose face was obscured by a glittering purple mask.

“What is this?” She exclaimed. “Who dares to mock me?”



Did you miss Chapters 1-144? If so, you can read them here. Come back on Monday, January 17, 2011 for Chapter 146 of Punch’s Cousin.

2 comments:

Dashwood said...

Another Saturday cliff hanger. Errrr.

Joseph Crisalli said...

LOL. Sorry, Dashwood, but it's always nice to have something to look forward to.