Friday, December 10, 2010

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 118

Ulrika Rittenhouse pushed her way through the throngs of merrymakers which lined the streets of the French Quarter. The cold night air stung her face through her veil and she cursed as drunken men stumbled into her path. Growling when a pink-faced man pinched her, she pushed him aside and walked briskly toward an open space in the crowd. Panting, she paused and looked behind her. Arthur limped toward her.


“Hurry up, you fool!” She shouted.

Arthur staggered forward. “Where’s Barbara? Are we going to find Barbara?”

“No, idiot!” Ulrika spat. “Listen to me. You will help me find Lord Fallbridge and his companions. Did you hear nothing? Have you no idea where they were going?”

“I can’t very well hear through walls, can I?” Arthur answered flatly.

“Useless.” Ulrika muttered.

“I did hear some of the men say something about Iolanthe’s girl—Mala. Seems she came by the house where Lord Julian and the others are staying. Got his valet to go with her.”

Ulrika raised her hand as she intended to slap Arthur across the face. She stopped herself and, instead, lifted her veil. Frowning she gazed at Arthur whose face went pale. He stepped backward.

“Don’t fear me, Arthur,” Ulrika grinned finally. “We are going to see Barbara, after all.”

Meanwhile, Cecil, Robert and Mr. Punch hurried toward Jouette Street.

“Are you sure this is the way?” Cecil asked, picking up his pace to keep up with Robert.

“This is the way I went when I followed Punch and Naasir here the last time.” Robert answered.

Mr. Punch frowned and bit Julian’s lip. He stopped in his tracks.

Robert noticed that Punch wasn’t keeping up with them. He, too stopped and gently touched Cecil’s arm so that he would pause.

“Dear Punch, is something troubling you?” Robert asked.

“Here,” Mr. Punch said softly, “this ain’t no pantomime, it isn’t.” He drew in a deep breath. “This is real. Can’t just charge in and start slappin’ folk with a stick—knowin’ that the man beneath ya is goin’ to make sure it comes out all right in the end. We ain’t got no one hidden below—makin’ us move. Ain’t no professor this time. We’re in charge of what we’re doin’. Can’t rely on no one to make sure it works out right in the end.”

“You’re correct, Punch,” Robert nodded, “we have to ensure that when this is finished, we are the victors. We’re in control of what we do.”

“So, what are we doin’?” Mr. Punch asked. “Ain’t you two always talkin’ ‘bout makin’ plans? What’s the plan, then? Are we gonna charge into that monster’s house and demand she give Naasir back to us? She won’t do that. We gotta think ‘bout what we’re doin’.”

Cecil grunted, “Demanding that Naasir be returned to us is rather what we’d planned to do.”

“Do ya think that’ll happen?” Mr. Punch shook Julian’s head.

“I…I don’t know.” Cecil shrugged. “But, it’s all we can do.”

“She ain’t a woman what does what she’d told.” Punch sighed. “She’s the kind of person who only gives when she’s getting’ somethin’ better in return. Like a trade.”

“We’re talking about human lives,” Cecil frowned.

“She don’t care nothin’ ‘bout lives.” Mr. Punch responded. “She puts no stock in the value of a life beyond what good it is to her.”

“I’m prepared to pay for Naasir,” Cecil said. “It’s undignified for him, but I’m willing to pay for his release.”

“She don’t want your money.” Mr. Punch grumbled. “She’s got money. She wants somethin’ more, she does.”

“Such as?” Robert asked.

“Me.” Mr. Punch said plainly. “Offer her a trade—me for Naasir.”

At that very moment, Barbara Allen met Iolanthe in the sitting room which adjoined the ogress’ bed chamber.

“You called for me, Miss Iolanthe?” Barbara said obsequiously.

“I did.” Iolanthe grinned.

“Is my mother still here?” Barbara asked cautiously.

“Never mind about that,” Iolanthe answered. “Tell me, how did you enjoy your first day of work?”

Barbara’s shoulders sagged.

“That much?” Iolanthe laughed. “You’ll get used to it. Mala tells me you done entertained five gentlemen today. I knew you’d be worth your weight. Now, you rest. Ain’t no use you getting lines on your pretty face all in one day. I gotta treat for you. Something right special.”

“Is Arthur here?” Barbara asked eagerly.

“No, honey, this ain’t no place for husbands.” Iolanthe laughed. “I’ve got something better for you.”

“Oh.” Barbara frowned.

“Don’t look so sad, honey.” Iolanthe smiled. “This is going to be a lot of fun. You remember when you were in Marionneaux and you stopped Leon from burning that priest that works for your lunatic brother?”

“I do.” Barbara said softly.

“Well, honey, why’d you do that?”

“I didn’t…I…it didn’t seem right. I may be a lot of things, but I didn’t see the point of killing an innocent man.”

“And didn’t you think I’d find out, honey?” Iolanthe continued to smile. “I always find out. I don’t want you thinkin’ that I don’t.”

“I wasn’t thinking about you at the time.” Barbara whispered.

“You’re gonna have to learn to always think about Miss Iolanthe,” The ogress winked. “First and above all else. Haven’t I helped you, honey?”

“Yes.” Barbara nodded weakly.

“Didn’t you think maybe I had a reason for wanting that man to burn?”

“What reason could you have?” Barbara asked. “How could the life of my brother’s servant mean anything to you?”

“You’re about to find out, Miss Allen.” Iolanthe chuckled. “But, first, I got a present for you. Come with me.”

Iolanthe took Barbara’s hands and led her to the bedchamber.

“Open the door.”

Barbara nervously did as instructed. Her face fell when she saw her mother’s lifeless body on the bed—pale and drained.

“Mother!” Barbara shrieked. “Is she…”

“Dead?” Iolanthe smiled. “Not quite.”

“What have you done to her?” Barbara shouted.

“I didn’t do anything to her except what she was meant for.”

“You’re talking nonsense!” Barbara said, rushing to her mother’s side.

“She’ll live, honey.” Iolanthe laughed. “And, so will my son.”

“Your son?”

“Yes, but there’s one thing we gotta do first. And, you’re gonna do it for me. See, you gotta put right what you stopped. You gotta make it right for me. Then, I’ll reward you. I’ll let you go see your husband. And, when you do, you can get that diamond for me, and we’ll forget all about this nasty business.”

“What do you want me to do?” Barbara asked anxiously.

“Gonna need you to start a fire.” Iolanthe winked.



Did you miss Chapters 1-117? If so, you can read them here.

2 comments:

Dashwood said...

If some of the history of old New Orleans didn't actually rival this for sheer horror, it would be hard to accept characters like Iolanthe but because of history, your story is even more intense because it is utterly plausible. Congratulations.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thanks, Dashwood. Much of Iolanthe's character is drawn on documented behavior from a variety of different historical women of similar employment and spirituality. She embodies the worst of all of them.