Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 87

Mr. Punch slapped the bed and glared at Barbara. “I don’t believe you.”


“It’s true, Julian.” Barbara said softly. “Iolanthe Evangeline had our father murdered.”

“Barbara, you can’t expect us to believe that—as powerful a force as Iolanthe Evangeline is here—that her power extends across the ocean.” Robert said firmly.

“But, it does.” Barbara argued.

“Robert,” Adrienne said, “Iolanthe’s evil is far-reaching. She has at her disposal a very elaborate web of people who do her bidding—both here and in our home lands. When I was disgraced, it wasn’t but a few days before I was propositioned by one of Iolanthe’s men. One in particular—Leon. The one who called himself ‘The Professor.’”

“The man who died in the fire in the stable.” Robert nodded.

“He’s the one who extended Iolanthe’s invitation to me as well,” Barbara nodded.

“Fine,” Robert sighed, “Let’s assume, then, that Iolanthe has influence across the globe. What possible reason could she have to wish Sir Colin Molliner dead? The authorities reported that he had been killed by thieves who stole the gems he was carrying. Would Iolanthe Evangeline be so greedy as to have a stranger killed for jewels which would take weeks to reach her?”

“Yes,” Barbara nodded. “However, her motives were far more sinister. She ordered that Father be murdered in order to teach me a lesson.”

“For what?” Robert asked. “You hadn’t even arrived in New Orleans when Sir Colin was killed.”

“Got word when we were travelin’, we did.” Mr. Punch said, breaking his unusual silence. “Didn’t know it, but you was on the same ship as us. She’d not even met you yet.”

“I had sent a letter to her before we departed. I had told her that while I was still intending to come here, I’d had reservations about the arrangements concerning my child. I told her that I didn’t want to part with him. Her response was to show me the full extent of her power.” Barbara explained.

“Don’t make sense.” Mr. Punch shook his head. “Don’t make sense at all. The time it’d take for your letter to reach the woman don’t match up with when our father were killed.”

“Why would I deceive you, Julian?” Barbara moaned.

“Because you’re a bleedin’ liar what’s only after what she wants. You’d say anything you could to change things the way you want ‘em.” Mr. Punch responded.

“Robert, Your Lordship,” Adrienne said, “I am not so certain. I’ve seen the sorts of terrible acts of which Iolanthe is capable.”

“I know you have,” Robert said gently. “You know better than anyone. However, we can’t let this girl manipulate our sentiments.”

“What have I to gain by telling you this?” Barbara covered her face with her hands.

“There’s always somethin’ for you to gain.” Mr. Punch growled.

“I’ll never be free of her. Don’t you see? Not unless you help me.” Barbara said through her hands.

“We’ve been trying to help you all along,” Robert answered. “You’ve pushed us away.”

“For your own protection. I didn’t want her to hurt Julian as she hurt our father.”

“You don’t care nothin’ ‘bout what happens to your brother,” Mr. Punch frowned. “You said yourself how you hate him…me.”

“I only said those things so that you’d leave me alone.” Barbara said. “I couldn’t risk entangling you in my problems.”

“Huh.” Mr. Punch grunted. “Only now you want to ‘tangle us? So, what’s it gonna take, then? Hmmm? What do ya need to be free?”

“Only some financial assistance.” Barbara said, smiling slightly.

“And, there we have it.” Robert sighed.

“I understand why you mistrust me, Dr. Halifax.” Barbara said softly. “However, I am most sincere.”

“I believe her,” Adrienne said quickly, remembering her own ordeal with Iolanthe Evangeline.

“Adrienne,” Robert shook his head. “Don’t let her fool you. This woman would see us all dead at her feet if it meant that she’d earn her gold.”

“Barbara,” Adrienne began, “Are you in earnest? Do you truly wish for us to help you extricate yourself from Iolanthe?”

“Terribly,” Barbara covered her face with her hands again.

“Then, we shall help you.” Adrienne put her arms around Barbara. “Furthermore, we’ll see to it that your child is returned to you.”

Mr. Punch and Robert looked at one another helplessly.

Meanwhile at the bayou, Arthur stumbled backwards into the cold mud after Ulrika shoved him.

“Come on, then!” Arthur said, catching himself on a large oak. “What do you aim to do?”

Ulrika laughed. “Have I frightened you?”

“You always frighten me a bit.” Arthur frowned.

“Just remember, really, who you’re dealing with.” Ulrika hissed.

“It would do you good not to forget what I’m capable of either.” Arthur spat.

“Can’t you see? We’re the perfect match for one another.” Ulrika grinned, extending her hand to Arthur. “I have everything you’ll ever want—including that beautiful blue diamond. What can Barbara offer you? Nothing! She’s forever enslaved by that woman, the ‘Ogress.’ I am free and I have the ability to conquer anything. You see, Arthur, I’ve been very clever.”

“Have you?” Arthur smirked.

“Yes,” Ulrika smiled. “I have in my possession a document that states quite clearly that upon the death of my maid, I, as her mistress, will receive all of her property. Barbara put her mark on it when she accepted her false position in my mother’s house. The only provision is that she have no living family. Well, it’s one thing when such an arrangement is made between a maid and her mistress. It’s really quite another when the girl is an heiress in disguise. Aside from her mother, who is Barbara’s only remaining relative? The lunatic. Well, as far as the world is concerned, Barbara Allen is dead. The inheritance she’d have received upon the death of her father would rightly go to me if it were not for Lord Fallbridge.”

“It won’t hold up.” Arthur shook his head.

“It will if you help me.” Ulrika winked.

“Did you ever think that maybe I love my wife?” Arthur asked.

“Arthur, really, you don’t love anyone.” Ulrika laughed.

“True.” Arthur laughed as well.

“Well, then?” Ulrika asked.

“Right.” Arthur nodded. “I’m in.”

“How lovely, really,” Ulrika cooed. “Come along. Let’s go see Nanny. Oh, yes, we shall have the happiest Christmas, Arthur.  The happiest...”

Did you miss Chapters 1-86?  If so, you can read them here.

4 comments:

Dashwood said...

I do hope that Ulrika continues to appear in your work. She is one of the most devious, evil, bestial and hateful characters I've run across in years. And given how deliciously evil you've made Julian's Mum and Sister, that's quite an accomplishment.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thanks, Dashwood. In fact, Ulrika Rittenhouse figures prominently in "The Cages of Marionneaux." Her manipulations are one of the driving forces of the plot. If you think she's bad now, just wait until you see what twenty years will do to her--that and her involvement with a very questionable cult.

Darcy said...

Speaking of devious, if they're going to see Nanny there's bound to be more evil to come.

Joseph Crisalli said...

True, Darcy! All the unsavory types are banding together for the New Year's Eve Ball! Thanks for reading!